Henna for miserable stinky humid summertime dog itch

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
CCartwrightJones
admin
Henna for miserable stinky humid summertime dog itch

Couldn't figure out where to post this .... but my pug now looks like he's been swimming in orange Koolaid. Oxidation, plz?

My pug was miserably itchy with a malassezia infection (summer stinky yeasty dog skin disease) http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1557&aid=321

I saw

Berenji F, Rakhshandeh H, Ebrahimipour H. In vitro study of the effects of henna extracts (Lawsonia inermis)
on Malassezia species. Jundishapur J Microbiol. 2010; 3(3): 125-8.

I mixed up henna and water and left it overnight.., got my dog into the shower, and massaged henna into his fur and onto his sores for about fifteen minutes.  I skipped the citric acid because I didn't know if that was ok for dogs.

THE RELIEF WAS IMMEDIATE!  I'm sure the yeast will die, but the fact that the pug ceased chewing and scratching within five minutes really caught my attention.

He looks really strange, though .......... like he's been swimming in orange koolaid.

Carrie
Re: Henna for miserable stinky humid summertime dog itch

Poor pug! Glad he's getting relief now!

belle_rouge

Posting about a koolaid orange dog without providing photodocumentation is just cruel.

CCartwrightJones
admin

I'm sort of embarrassed for the poor fellow.  He genuinely looks rediculous.  I'm trying to spare his dignity.

AniaT

Wow....I'm glad it worked. How interesting. I have one dog that gets yeastly skin and ears a lot. I will remember this. It's not safe in the ears though, is it? Her only problem spots are in her ears, between toes and on her anus. I have had some success with live probiotics and garlic in the ears as well as chamomile which is antifungal and am considering using some supplements on her that are supposed to work for systemic yeast in people, since it seems to recur. I've also been told human antifungal yeast infection treatments, (don't remember the brand names at the moment, the ones for women) work in the ears and on the skin as well but have not tried those.

Let us know if the results are lasting. I make dog shampoo bars for our rescue and may want to add henna to some of them if it is theraputic to them.

Also, I agree...you must post a pic of the orange pug.

aellath

Thanks, Carrie, for pointing me here . . . 

i have a borzoi whose just miserable with itch, and has been for many months now. We can't figure out exactly what's causing it, because a reduction in fleas doesn't seem to have any effect. i've had to keep her clipped to between .25-1" to help her NOT mat up from the chewing and for me to be able to see any sores she creates. Now she's got haematomae in both ears from scratching at them. (too big for me to deal with myself.)

The greyhound seems to be nearly as itchy, but doesn't seem to go at herself as much. Maybe because she doesn't have as much fur. but just stroking a hand down their backs will get the feet thumping. forget about scrubbling their faces.

i'm not concerned in the least about turning either of their haircoats red or orange - the borzoi is black-and-tan tricolour, mostly black, and the grey is a solid blue - i just want to soothe their itchy skin. Flaky, too. i've no idea if they've got a yeast infection or anything. i had them supplemented with nutritional yeast, to cut the acidity of their urine to prevent bitch-burn, but i've stopped that to see if they're having a reaction to it (they've been eating it for at least a year; they love the nut-yeast/water gravy!). i'd like to break the itch-chew cycle asap, though.

i'm presuming a lot in trying to work out how to do this . . . i know henna is supposed to be good for dandruff and itch, and i intend to try that myself, but do i need to think about lemon or terps, since i don't care about dye release? Or is just water okay to mix it up with? again, i guess wrapping isn't an issue, since colour isn't.

How do you figure how much for a dog? how long do you leave it on - and how the heck do you keep the dog from licking at it? (not to mention, smearing it all over when she lays down, if it has to be on any length of time!) i can see keeping a wee dog still in the tub for half an hour, but can't really see it with these girls.

perhaps, given the size of the dogs, a sectional approach is best? - head one day, forequarters the next, flanks, then hindquarters. Lots of work for me, though . . . ;-)

sorry for how long this is. i just have a lot of questions and no where else to go . . .

thanks!

Carrie

Hoping Catherine will see this and reply, but I think you'd be safer omitting anything but water and henna. Lemon juice or essential oils could irritate inflamed skin.

Have the dogs been seen by a vet for this condition?

CCartwrightJones
admin

I used just henna and water. Stain isn't very important in this situation. Brush all the loose hair out that you can. Work as much henna down to the skin as you can.

aellath

going to vet today, but has been seen before for persistent itch. antiflea stuff (frontline, comfortis) helped stop the compulsive chewing, but itch persisted. Will ask about yeast.

CCartwrightJones
admin

Your physician can easily diagnose yeast or fungus with a swab and microscope.  There are also several skin mite sorts of varmits that henna can knock out.

Do make sure your vet knows about and approves of the henna. Henna is very effective on yeast, head lice, sand fleas, and all funguses. 

Greater saturations of lawsone in the keratin give better results, but I'd achieve that through multiple brief applications instead of one heavy app and wrap, just for the dog's comfort.

aellath

i'm chuckling at the mental image of a nearly three-foot tall dog, slim and whippy, wrapped in plastic witth henna mud from poll to tail . . . . 8D

thanks so much.

Carrie

yeah, in case that wasn't clear to anyone reading ... no need to wrap the poor dog!

Crabbyco

I would still love to see a picture of a hennaed pug! What would my white cat look like ;) would the ER bill be worth it :D

Scootiewootums

Do not, I repeat, do NOT use any essential oils on a dog without a vet's permission. Depending on the oil and amount used, it could make them very ill. It is generally better to use hydrosols on dogs. Hydrosols are the byproduct of essential oil making.

aellath

thanks, all -- i'll stick with water and henna and save the ravensara for the cones. ;-)

vet's visit was near useless -- didn't want to hear anything about yeast, but did want to run a $200 blood panel for food sensitivities, start her on a special diet, and charge up to $1300 for lancing her ears.

excuse me? sorry, i live paycheck to paycheck, and the tax return's the only reason i can get her in this time!

so it's just the frontline and comfortis; ear drops (for why, i don't know; her ears don't look infected); antibiotics (again, unsure, i don't see any open sores this time; but it'll come in handy); pred for the itch (okay, i can see that) -- and waiting eagerly for the shipment from Mehandi so i can try the henna.

on me *and* the dog. 8D if i can, i'll post pics somewhere.

ACWN

Can any one tell me if henna will work on hot spots? I have a dog that has licked a spot on her front leg bald and she wont leave it or the same place on her other leg alone.

CCartwrightJones
admin

Any henna that you know for certain has no additives would do the job.

ACWN

Sweet, thank you Lady C! I have some frozen YL in the freezer... whatever I have left from my roots will go on my dog. Poor thing, she's solid white. Oh well!

Crabbyco

I used to be a vet tech. It was years ago, but as I remember, what you describe is a habit. Whatever you do to heal the skin, the dog will make the sores again if you don't find a way to brake the habit. With most dogs the front legs is a nervous habit ie. separation anxiety. There are a lot of training tools out there.

ACWN

That would make sense except she isnt a nervous dog (she's very out going - silly, friendly, very happy) and she doesnt do it all the time. In fact its been at least a year, possibly longer, since this last happened. Theres only one change recently that I can think of that would be causing her to start doing this all of a sudden... Thanks, Crabby. I appreciate the comment cause it made me think of what could be causing this!

babslynne

If you use xxxxx  brand you just mix with water and apply, no waiting overnight and no mixing with lemon or anything else but water.

if you don't want color, try the Cassia Abovata on your dog, should get same benefits without the color,

and try their henna aloe vera shampoo, or the neem shampoo on the dog.

Also try a doggy life jacket instead of a dish collar, to prevent scratching,

if they have yeast problems, try probiotics  and enzymes for dogs, don't use people versions.

I use total-zymes plus pro-biotics, and total-zymes plus joint relief because it has MSM, which is good for skin problems.

I also use Burn Jel on the hot spots and rashes, it numbs the skin and helps heal.

I use Vets Best "Seasonal Allergy Support".

I hope any of this helps your itchy dogs.

[edited to remove brand name - admin]

babslynne

I'd like to know how long he stopped chewing and scratching, did the problem go away forever? Do you have to keep dying him, and how often?

CCartwrightJones
admin

I hennaed spots as they arose all last summer ... he hasn't had an outbreak this summer so far. Once an area was hennaed, it didn't recur in the same place again.