gem adhesives

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
blithe spirit
gem adhesives
hi guys! thanks so much for the answer to my drum question. i have some time to figure that out i guess cause i wont have a drum to work on for awhile... now i have a question about applying gems to skin.

what adhesive is your favorite for gems? i guess the options from what i have seen are.. eyelash glue... gilding paste from a tube.. prosaide adhesive that comes in a jar... or a little bit of liquid new-skin. there might be others.

i havent really felt like the eyelash adhesive works very well. i have tried the new-skin and that seems to work pretty well. i havent tried to other ones but i about to buy some gilding paste to try. does anyone have any opinions about which one works best for them or for what reasons?

im also conisdering getting some metallic powders and things. i notice there are a few different kinds, does anyone have any preference or experience on which ones they prefer. just curious. has anyone tried to crush up regular makeup and use that. im having an awful lot of fun so far and really want to make sure im doing work that will be lasting and quality and all that. thanks again for putting all this info up ive really found it helpful.
Jen
Re: gem adhesives
I like pros-aide, or similar type acrylic medical adhesive. Mehandi does offer that for sale as well as a cream that holds its shape well. (Great for doodling from a cone!) For getting gems to stick I find that using it like rubber cement works best —that is put a little dot on the gem and the skin, and let them start to dry just a bit before pressing them together. This method and product are very easy to control and adhere very well.

The actual metal pigments by Mehron are stunning! BUT they do start to tarnish a bit with a couple days wear. If you're going for a longer term look, even if its a little less eye catching, then go with the mica based powders. They still have great shimmer and do not tarnish. Crushed make up has a lot of other filler in it that micas and metallic powders don't. These are powders that help the make up go on smooth, stick to skin, prevent caking, and so on. In body art they just dilute the purity of the color and dampen the shimmer. They are fine for practice, and if you have some laying around —what will it hurt!? But its not a best practice.
blithe spirit
thank you jen thats pretty much exactly what i ended up doing.... i got one of the cones of gilding paste to try.. and a jar of the prosaide liquid also. seems they both have slightly different effect (the liquid is flatter and the paste more dimensional?) so it seems good to have both.

i also got one of the non-mehron golds to try.

it seems thinking about it that (besides postage) the powders are actually just about the same price as 'cheap' makeup anyhow... so i think i'll just try to slowly build up a collection and use other stuff i have around in the meantime to practice.

i really like the henna and other stuff that i got from this site, i have never tried any of this before, the people i have practiced on are getting very nice dark color and im very happy about it. i have done other kinds of body painting for a number of decades but only with regular paint, it comes off in a few hours, so this is exciting to add these things. 

Jen
Yes, you've got the right idea about the difference between the adhesives. Personally I think the cream is way easier to control, but since it is demential, it catches on things and wears out a bit faster. The liquid is where I usually go for sticking gems and for longer lasting art, but the cream is much more fun!