When can I use chemical color on my hair?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Eewesley
When can I use chemical color on my hair?
About six months ago I used black henna to dye my hair, since there is really no such thing as real black henna, can I use a chemical color on my hair safely? From what I've been reading, indigo henna comes in a green powder form and the so-called black henna I used was a white powder which turned black once mixed with the paste it came with. Please help! I can't seem to find a good answer for my question. Thanks!
Carrie
Re: When can I use chemical color on my hair?
Since your "black henna" was a white powder, I have no idea what it was!  Indigo is a green powder that stays green when you mix it with water, so what you used was not a plant dye.

I think you had better strand test any chemical processes you're thinking of using.
Jen
Re: When can I use chemical color on my hair?
I agree with Carrie. There's really no certainty about what that was. Some of the things they put in products marked henna that aren't henna, contain chemicals that interact TERRIBLY with chemical dyes. Like hair melting terrible. You may have to let it grow all the way out before you use a chemical dye, I'm afraid. At the very least, strand test before you apply something chemical, just to be safe.