buxus gloss + green tint

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ginger
buxus gloss + green tint

ok lovelies,  i used too much buxus-- what can i do to get rid of the green tint?

help!

Ginger
Re: buxus gloss + green tint

buxus isnt permanent right? i need a quick fix, no time to henna now and i cant deal with this green ash hue. can i (gasp) use something like natural instincts in a golden brown?

Carrie

Wash it numerous times with a strong shampoo, like a clarifying shampoo or Prell, or use dishwashing liquid. I definitely do not advise using a commercial blonde hair dye over it at this point, could make things worse if it contains peroxide.

Ginger

i thought any plant dyes were OK with box colors?

Carrie

They're okay in the sense that the combination won't fry your hair (at least not any worse than the chem dye will fry your hair anyway). But since plant dyes aren't easily lifted by the chemical dyes, the color ends up darker than intended.

In the case of hair with buxus or indigo in it, the result can be greenish if you use bleach or a light colored dye (like blonde) that involves a significant amount of peroxide. It lifts some of the color in the hair but can't touch the blue/green dyes. This is more of a problem with indigo than with buxus, from what I've seen in my experiments, but since you're already seeing green from the buxus I don't think using a chemical dye process involving peroxide is a good idea. If you use one without peroxide you should have better luck. Elumen is one I've heard about that gives better results in this sort of situation.

Henna's bonds with the hair are so strong that the chem dyes usually wash out more quickly as well.

Carrie

If the green tint is minimal, try a strand test and see if it covers the green. You might get lucky :)

Ginger

yay! i washed my hair X4 times with Neutrogena-anti- residue shampoo..and its gone!!! very excited. will not make that mistake too much buxus and left it on for 25 minutes- too long- not a fan of the ASH

Carrie

Great!  So the green is gone but is the color still brownish, or are you back to red now?