Jamila or punjabi prime for mixed red/gray hair

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
LAelli
Jamila or punjabi prime for mixed red/gray hair
A year ago I bought some henna from this site (lasted super well!) and want to apply more. I have 3 unopened packets of something. The outside of each packet says Jamila and the tag on the large plastic bag says Punjabi Prime. What I bought was the PP and Henna for African Hair. Any idea which I have? I thought that I only had one packet of PP left but all three of these look the same. I want to use the unopened packets but last time my hair stayed orange for months and I want to avoid that this time. I used 2 bags Henna for African and 1 bag PP, mixed w lemon juice, left it on for 2.5 hrs. I had some of that mix in the freezer so a few days ago I strand tested it, leaving on for 4 hrs. It came out very dark red. I'm looking for something in between. Also, by now, my hair has a bit more gray roots so I don't know what to use that will cover gray or at least not be pinkish like the health food store henna I use as root touch up. My goal is to have my hair be copper/ginger/red colored. Currently my hair it's basically copper tone but a dull copper and I want to add some red pop back in. I'm a natural redhead but it's fading to blah ashy brown/blonde. What hennas would be good to use? Should I just toss what I have? Thanks so much.
Jen
Re: Jamila or punjabi prime for mixed red/gray hair
That sounds like you do in fact have Punjabi Prime. It was a particularly nice batch of Jamila that Mehandi rebranded to differentiate it from other batches. Dye content is on the high side.

Frozen, then thawing paste can give it extra punch so your strand test makes good sense to me me. My suggestion is to use the same mix, and leave it on two or three hours like you did the first time, but having been frozen now, you'll get more color than the first time. Make sense?

I can't see any reason to toss what you have. Its good stuff! When you run out, I'd suggest you try Monsoon. It should be very similar in color.
Carrie
totally agree with Jen - and you have a good thing there ! that Punjabi Prime was nice stuff, and it sounds like it got some nice extra strength in the freezer.
LAelli
Well, it took me too many days to ask about it so the mix sat in the refrigerator for over a week and I tossed it. Oops! **** Hold the presses: I got smart and called. She had my previous order so we figured out the "3" packets I have are actually one bag of PP, 100 grams split into 3 small bags. She agreed with y'all about using Monsoon since the 3 small packets are not enough for my below-shoulder length hair. She also recommended adding 1/4 cup of indigo to the PP/Monsoon mix, then leave the henna/indigo mix on my hair for 5 hours. She said that should help knock out the orange that was way too strong last time. I think I'll do a strand test with the above mix I just purchased and see where it takes me. Any input? I so appreciate your responses and knowledge.
Carrie
sounds very reasonable to me!
LAelli
Awesome! Haven't gotten it in the mail yet but hope to try it out this coming week.
LAelli
Finally put the henna on my hair last night. No orange! It's a bit darker than I had hoped but certainly not the terrible clown orange of. Last time. I used what I had left, which most likely was the Pujami Prime, added Monson, mixed a tad of indigo. I actually layered it! I put on coat on the underside, waited a couple hours, put another one on the middle, waited about 90 min then applied some on the very top. 90 minutes later I washed it all. Now my hair has some nice mixed tones to it which I really like. Thanks so much for all your help. I saved the mix (and my notes!) for roots. If I need new info, I'll be back in a year since that's how long it was in between this last time. So incredible! GREAT PRODUCTS you sell.