You can never be over prepared; but I sure am under prepared..

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hannah.Wing
You can never be over prepared; but I sure am under prepared..
Hello everyone; I am going to do henna for the first time after some on and off research on finding a healthier way to keep my red color. I have been using a box dye red for 2-3 years, and I do not enjoy seeing my original brown but! It was recommended to go back to color similar to my natural brown to keep color more even in the future. I do not want to have to keep this brown color for an extended period of time so I want to expedite the process in which I test and get ready to do the actual application. Now for some of the technical questions; as I have chemically dyed hair and will be re-dyeing again before the first henna, should I use the lemon or apple juice? Would one be too strong/ not strong enough? I plan to just use a basic mix, but what would be most effective in giving me a red hue leaning less toward orange or brown? (Any other additives to the basic mix you would recommend?) I am going to purchase the henna from this site and was planning to, for the sake of convenience, try the Ancient Sunrise® Henna for Hair Kit: Red. Would the henna in this kit be strong enough to give me the desired effect? Why type of color should I expect? This is a lot but i would hate to make a mistake. I am going to be ready to make purchases of test henna at the beginning of November, so I hope I can manage this process before then. To give you an idea of the colors; my current red dye is Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Color Creme Permanent Haircolor for dark hair in Light intense Auburn The color I will be using to get back to my natural hair color is Garnier Nutrisse Nourishing Color Creme Permanent Haircolor in Light Ash Brown. My natural is very similar, possibly a bit darker. Thank you for any help/ advise you can give me!
ACWN
Re: You can never be over prepared; but I sure am under ...

I would recommend apple juice. Its plenty strong, but more gentle than lemon and wont dry your hair out.

Keep it simple.

Keep in mind that any henna over brown is going to give you auburn, how dark depends on how dark your starting color is. I would *strand test* the kit's henna and something higher, like Monsoon. You might also try Jasmine. Its a lower dye content, BUT I use a henna that's similar in dye content and my starting color is pretty close to yours, more or less, and I get some pretty intense color with only 2 hours.

My starting color:  [link]

My results: Outside, same light, different angles (sun hitting it differently) - [link] [link]

Inside, flash - [link]

Hannah.Wing
This helps a lot, thank you! The color comparisons are close enough to give me a good idea of what outcome to expect. I know that the dye release time is shorter when using apple juice (at room temp) but what is the optimal time? The time it is left in is also shorter? How long would you recommend for the first time?
ACWN

Dye release time is about 6 - 8 hours, could be less.. could be more. Depends on room temp and the henna itself. Some dye release faster/slower than others. Press plastic wrap to the surface of your henna and when you *think* its done, take a little and smear it on your palm. Let it sit a few minutes. When you wash it off, you want an obvious, pumpkin orange stain.

No, the time its on your head would still be basically whatever you wanted but since your color is very similar to mine, I would recommend no more than 3 hours, if that.

Hannah.Wing
Okay fantasic, thank you so much for your help!