where a henna artist can make $$??

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
TraceyB
where a henna artist can make $$??
Hi all.. i previously wrote about my first festival which went very well. i did another today and it was so bad. It was a mob scene but unfortunately the crowd was terrible. They were trashy and weird, and most did not even know what henna was! one actually asked if it would hurt and all these other odd questions. I tried educating them and showing off my beautiful hands etc but i could not get any takers. i find mostly teens are who get the henna and there were oddly not many teens at this huge fair. I was incredibly disappointed as my friend the face painter made about 700 $ doing 8$ faces. I enjoy henna and am not into face painting My question is, now that festival season is winding down because its getting cold here in NY.. where and how can I make money doing this? How can i get into doing parties or something so that i can take this fun art into something lucrative? My first fair did so well that i expected the same or to double today.. since crowd was much much larger. I wanted to cry for real. Any suggestions?
Jen
Re: where a henna artist can make $$??
There's simply not as much opportunity to make money in the winter. Even with parties. People don't want henna at times of year where they're bundled up all the time. "Full time" pros in temperate climates build a safety net for winter during the on-season.

It seems to me like you're starting a little fast. I suggest finding busy places where you can work for TIPS. This way you'll get lots more work, lots more practice, AND can hand out business cards.

If you're really serious about earning money at this then you should get to a henna conference. Henna Con, on the west coast is actually this coming weekend. Windy City Mehndi Meet in Chicago is Nov 2 and 3, and the Henna Gathering on the east coast is in March. There are others though! And small local meet ups all over too. At these events you will learn a LOT about henna, and about how the pros manage their businesses. The big conferences will have classes on everything from mixing paste (pros NEED to be able to do this, even if they choose to buy paste from another artist. Commercial pre-mixed cones are not acceptable.) to full on traditional Indian bridal work, to business management, to marketing. Small meet ups give you a chance to get right up close to other artists and see how they work, and chat about how they do things.

If you want to regularly make money at this, you'll need to check with your local requirements for business licensing. You NEED liability insurance. Its not just the right thing to do, but also many institutions and events will require it.

While you're working on all that, you'll have some time to hone your skills and get some great pictures to use in your marketing!

I hope that helps!!
TraceyB
Re: where a henna artist can make $$??
thank you. i actually forgot to mention i own a nail salon but my clients are mostly older so they are not into henna either. where is the henna gathering on the east coast? I am not able to travel to the west coast . chicago may be an option. nails is a dying business for me. It has been taken over by many illegally operating salons that people prefer. I have been in that business for over 20 years and we stay current but these chop shops on every corner have made our new business dwindle and i am just really burnt. i love doing henna and i guess you are right.. the winter is bad time to start out but at least all winter i can practice more by the way the captchas on here for everything are really annoying :(