Indigo Without Henna:

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Nargilyos
Indigo Without Henna:

Hello

I am newbie here, I have naturally redhead which I don’t like and I would be glad if you could give me some tips and guide me to the color that I want to achieve

As I said, im naturally redhead, usually when I dye my hair, I try to get my natural red hair become ashier. My pigment is too red\orange and I don't like it. I'm usually coloring with 7-1 or 8-1 to get much more "ashy" color. I still have some red pigment, but its fit me more.

Now, because I start to develop allergy to chemical dyes, I would like to try natural dyes.

I know I need to start a process of “trial and error” to find what’s the best for me,

I read a lot of info, but I have some specific question please:

I’m willing to try Indigo (to get to more darker hair shade) but I need to mix it with some material. I understand that most of the people usually mix it with henna, but henna will give me the opposite results I want to achieve- red pigment, which I want to cancel or at least- minimize.  Therefore, I thought maybe I will try mixing Indigo with Cassia or Amla. Is it possible to mix Indigo with these materials? I mean, Can Indigo bond with cassia\Amla like it does with Henna?

Can you please explain how can I mix Indigo with Cassia\Amla, if it’s possible of course?

In additon,
Is there perhaps another plant that I can mix with it the Indigo for my goal? (dye made of walnut hulls\plant buxus-can be suitable?)

Thanks a lot!

Carrie
Re: Indigo Without Henna:
Without henna in the hair, I don't expect indigo will bond very well. You could try it on a hair sample collected from your brush. Since you only need a small effect from the indigo, perhaps it will adhere well enough for your purposes.

I don't know if cassia in the mix will help indigo uptake like henna does, but it's worth a try. Mixing indigo with amla is not a good idea - amla is acidic and indigo is/likes an alkaline environment to work in, amla would be counterproductive.

My first suggestion would be to try an indigo gloss on a hairball.  Mix 1/4 or 1/8 tsp indigo powder into about 2 tablespoons cheap conditioner (Suave, VO5, something that isn't really rich and oily) and apply for 30 minutes. Rinse, let it sit a couple of days and then evaluate (it may be greenish at first. Try shampooing your hairball a couple of times to see if the dye fades a lot.

If you like the result, you can do this in a bigger batch for your whole head of hair - something like 1 Tablespoon indigo per cup conditioner.

If you want to try with cassia, mix 1 or 2 tablespoons indigo into 100 gm cassia and water, apply for 30 minutes (or you may need a longer application - do a small amount on a hair ball first to determine how long an application you need).

Buxus isn't available for import to the US right now - are you in another country?
Nargilyos

Hello.

About the Indigo gloss- do I need mix indigo in the powder form (with the conditioner) or indigo after I already mix it with water?

About amla and Indigo toghter- I understand that Amla is acidic and Indigo likes an alkaline environment to work in, but it's the same with Indigo and Henna- and its common to mix these two toghther, right?

Cassia+Indigo: if I want to try cassia with Indigo, I shouldn't mix Cassia before and wait to die relese, like with Henna? I think I read it somewhere.

I'm not in the US, Do you think that Buxus can help me?

Thank you very much!

Carrie
You can mix indigo directly into a watery-based conditioner. If there isn't much water in the conditioner indigo won't work well.

Amla has more concentrated acidity. Adding it to indigo would keep the indigo from working well.

You can use cassia with or without dye release.  If you want the dye (pale golden yellow dye, very weak) prepare cassia like you would henna. 

Buxus, if you can get it, gives a greener/ashier tone, while indigo leans more blue/purple. Buxus fades more though.
Nargilyos

Thank you very much! I really appreciate your kindness!

Just one thing that I want to clarify please,

There is no possiblity for me to use amla with Indigo at all, or just when I combine these two alone? (I mean, If I mix Henna and Indigo in 1:2 ratio (2 for Indigo)- It's still not good idea to put some amla?

I'm consist with amla because I saw pictures with and without amla and it seems that amla can cancel the red which it's something I'm trying to achive.

Carrie
if you use henna in your mix, you can mix 25% amla with 75% henna (amla will be your only acidic ingredient, don't use juice in this case) and let that sit 8-12 hours for dye release.  Then AFTER the henna is ready and giving good orange stain on your palm, you would separately mix indigo with water, stir well, then stir indigo paste into henna paste.

If you are not using any henna, just indigo, then you do not want to use amla mixed into the indigo without the presence of henna, because it will interfere with indigo dye release. Indigo wants just water for dye release, nothing acidic should be mixed directly with indigo.
Nargilyos

Thank you.