Indigo significantly more grainy than henna?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Apex
Indigo significantly more grainy than henna?
I found the store a little difficult to navigate at first. I purchased the following:
Rajasthani Twilight Ancient Sunrise® Item #: 2559
Sudina Indigo Ancient Sunrise ® Item #: 2547

The henna is very very fine. The indigo not so much. It looks the same as the henna when dry but is quite gritty when wet. Enough that it's a bit difficult to work with. Is this to be expected? Or is there indigo with a finer grind? It does seem to work quite well though.
ACWN
Re: Indigo significantly more grainy than henna?
Indigo is typically pretty gritty when mixed, its normal. You can make it smoother by mixing CMC powder into the indigo powder itself, or (I believe) a tablespoon of instant pudding mix will do the same thing. Hopefully Jen or Carrie can come by and confirm or correct that.
Carrie
That's right, indigo's texture isn't that nice silky stuff like henna, and adding CMC (carboxymethylcellulose I think that stands for)  is great for making indigo paste smoother, or second best would be a tablespoon or two of instant vanilla pudding mix per 100 gm indigo.
Apex
That's fine. I'll manage. Just didn't know if maybe a finer grind was available.

thanks for the info.
Jen
So far I have not been able to find a sift of indigo that is as fine as the best body art hennas, but its more than just that. Even the finest indigo has a more difficult texture than the worst sift of henna! It just doesn't have that cohesiveness that henna has. I believe its because the plants have different kinds/quantities of natural sugars.