is it ok to let Henna sit for 26 hours?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
nanay
is it ok to let Henna sit for 26 hours?
MY henna is now sitting for 14 hours.. am bone tired so I will put it on my hire in the next 12 hours (I need some sleep)...
ACWN
Re: is it ok to let Henna sit for 26 hours?
What did you mix it with, how warm/cold is the room? Your best bet, if its not already demised, is to put it in the fridge.
nanay
300mg of henna with 4oz lemon and 16oz orange juice and 8oz distilled water let it sit in warm room for 12 hours then popped it into the chiller
nanay
i ALSO bagged it twice (air tight)
ACWN
You might've over done it on the acid a bit.. better to use one or the other, or just plain water if you run out.
nanay
have applied the henna (which sat for 14 hrs in room temp - 12 hrs in fridge) on my hair (Washed with baking soda).. and then wrapped with plastic for 12 hrs now my gray is auburn-- and my black still black.. my hair is still wet though.. I actually hope that my black will have some red shimmer on it.. lets see tomorrow morning...
nanay
by the way, I had added 2 tbsp of blackstrap molasses (unsulphured) and 1 cup of warm water into the mix before applying it to my hair..
ACWN

There is no need to keep henna on your hair that long unless you're sleeping with it in for convenience's sake. Hair wont absorb any more dye after a certain time and henna stops giving up its dye around 8 hours. Though we do recommend longer applications for stubborn hair, you actually will get more color out of two shorter back to back applications than one long one that equals the same amount of time (IE two 2 hour applications vs a single 4 hour) because henna will build in layers.

Henna will not make black hair auburn and in most normal lighting your hair will still look black. Outside in the sun or under a flash is only when your hair will produce a red shimmer.

Not sure why you added the molasses, it wont effect the color.

nanay
just added molasses as ive read from mehandi.com that sugar can help to get the henna stick to the hair and also for the nutrients from the molasses... results of henna for me, and my parents http://hilaw.wordpress.com/2013/11/03/pure-henna-results/
ACWN

Sugar is great for body art mixes as it keeps the henna from drying out as quickly - which helps it stain the skin better. And I think it helps it stick to the skin better. Its good for hair in that it can keep parts that may not be covered by plastic (back of the neck for example) from drying out as quickly (least for me as I use premade tea that has a lot of sugar in it already).

However, with really good, finely sifted henna.. you wouldn't need it to help it stick to the hair. It should do that pretty well on its own, and if it doesn't... theres not enough liquid.

Glad it worked for you all the same, just be careful how much you add as it can dilute the dye!

Indigo is another topic entirely in that its naturally more gritty and has a hard time sticking to the hair, even when there is enough liquid. Its just how the plant is. In this case, you can mix mehandi.com's CMC powder into the indigo powder, or a tablespoon of instant pudding mix per 100g indigo. This smoothes the indigo out once water is added, makes it more creamy and easier to apply.