Dying white hair to light brown

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lasel
Dying white hair to light brown

Hi:

I´m trying to dye my mum´s hair, which is 95% white hair, in light brown. We´ve used henna, cassia, amla and indigo, but only have got pale orange.

Has anyone experience with white hair? What kind of mixing should we use? For how long? I´m afraid orange always appears as white hair gets dyed very quickly.

Thank you in advance.

Jen
Re: Dying white hair to light brown
You're on the right track. You'll want MOSTLY cassia though. Where is she now? Still orange? And what was exact recipe and timing you used to get there?
Carrie
Yes, using mostly cassia is the trick. I would start with about 80% cassia, 10% indigo, 10% henna, and do some hair ball testing. If it's too red, increase the amount of indigo.

I would apply for about 2 hours to start but you may need to do a longer or shorter application to get enough indigo uptake for brown.  Try it on the hairballs and then if it's not quite right, give us an idea how it went and we will try to help you fine-tune.

Another option would be a mix of just henna and indigo, but prepare it in a special way so you don't get as much dye release out of either one since you are mixing together and using hot water. (this is an "off label" usage - not the "official" best way to use the dyes, but you are wanting light brown and this is an alternative way to get it ... ) You mix equal amounts of both together (just a half cup of each, if she has short hair)  with enough hot (but not boiling) water to make it as thick as yogurt, let that sit in the bowl for 60 minutes, then apply for 30 minutes (cover the hair with a plastic bag while it's on). I did this with strand #42 in this photo; I think it gave a nice color! 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39335752@N04/3713939746/

You should do a hairball test with that method, too - my test was on goat hair and human hair might react differently, but this is a method that was posted by a user on the old forum who liked the results on her hair.
Lasel

Hi:

Thank you for the answers.

Until now, what I have done is as follows: 2 parts of cassia, 1 part of henna, 1/2 part of amla mixed together and hot water and let that sit for 15 minutes. Apart, 1/2 part of indigo and let it sit for 15 minutes. Then I mixed all together and I applied to her hair for 10 minutes. The result is strowberry blond or pale blonde orange, strange color.

I cannot do hair balls testing because her hair is dyed with this mixtures. We do only the roots. By the end of the hair she has rest of commercial dye in dark blond. She has the hair of different colors, but she is very good and doesn´t complain too much. Anyway, after these failed attemps, I rather to test with some samples.

In a previous attempt, last month, I put 3 parts of cassia, 1/2 part of henna and 1/2 part of indigo and I applied it for 10 minutes. The result was a very pale blonde.

My concern is that leaving the mixture for long time in the hair can make that it gets really orange. The fact is that with five or ten minutes the white hair gets coverage, but we don´t like the color. But maybe there is the trick, leaving more time.

I realize that it´s very different to apply on white hair than on pigmented hair.

Thank you again.

Carrie
I think your application time is too short, for what you want to do.  I think 30 minutes is going to be better for getting a light brown, and you may even find more time is needed.

You will want to use at least as much indigo as henna, otherwise the color will be too orangey. 

When I did my light brown experiments, many of the test strands were slightly greenish at first. Don't panic if that happens. Within 24 hours it will be browner and not green. The indigo can take that long to oxidize to its final color.
Lasel

Thank you very much for your comments. I´ll try 2 parts of cassia, 1 part of henna, 1 part of indigo, and 1/2 part of amla. Do you think the longer the mixture stays in the hair the brownest it will get?

Carrie
Up to about 5 hours, you will be getting more uptake from the dyes the longer you leave it on. After 5 hours there won't be much difference.

If the mix you're proposing has too much red tone, you can increase the indigo portion.