henna/indigo/amla to dye chemically bleached hair

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
haley-rose
henna/indigo/amla to dye chemically bleached hair
Hey everyone! I've recently decided to make the transition from harsh chemical dyes to henna. I have dyed my hair my whole life, and I currently have bleached hair (a darker yellowish/goldish blond). I was hoping to dye it a chestnut brown with henna, indigo, and amla. I am planning on mixing 1 part amla with 3 parts henna and going 50:50 on the henna and indigo. I have hair a little past shoulder length (medium in thickness). I'm planning on using approx. 200g total in my mixture. I was hoping I could get some advice from those who have used henna before! Is it likely that I will achieve my desired results by following the aforementioned steps? If so, do you have any additional tips? If not, what might you suggest as an alternative? Also, I was planning on purchasing all of this from HennaSooq. Is this a reputable vendor? Thank you!!!! Haley-Rose
Carrie
Re: henna/indigo/amla to dye chemically bleached hair
You could get quite a dark brown, rather than a warm chestnut brown, because of the amla in your mix. Amla makes indigo come out darker.  Perhaps you could use less amla - cut the amla in half, for example.

The other thing to consider is how damaged hair will take up more indigo than undamaged hair ... it could come out quite dark for that reason, too. I would suggest a hairball test to see if you like the color, or if you need to adjust your amounts or timing.

I don't personally know of any problems with the supplier you mention.  This forum is owned and moderated by Mehandi/Ancient Sunrise, and we would recommend Mehandi's lab-tested products over those of any other company  :)
haley-rose
Thanks so much for the reply! It was very helpful! Also, I realize the importance of doing a hairball test first, but would that mean I would have to waste an entire batch on the test? I have a very tight budget right now and only enough money to purchase exactly the amount I will use on my head, and as i understand, the indigo won't keep well and should be used immediately after it is mixed. Maybe this is a silly question, but would i just used a very scaled down version of the mixture i was going to make? so for example, use approx 10 grams of the henna/indigo and a very small amount of amla for the hairball test? I will definitely check out the Mehandi/Ancient Sunrise products now ;) Thanks! Haley-Rose
Jen
Yes! You've got it. Think in ratios. If you're using 100 d henna and 50 g indigo, for example use a tablespoon of henna and a half tablespoon of indigo.
haley-rose
Thanks, Jen!!
haley-rose
So after listening to some of your advice looking into it a bit more, I've revised my plan. In fear of my hair turning out too dark, i'm cutting back on both the indigo and amla. I am thinking of using roughly 140g of henna with 30g amla, and around 60g indigo. If it turns out a little on the redder side, this is okay (and maybe preferred- so long as its not carrot orange). I plan on first mixing the henna and amla powder and adding in warmed distilled water (from my understanding-I will use water because the amla is acidic?) and mixing until it is the consistency of yogurt Then, I will wait for dye release. Once the henna is ready I will begin to prepare the indigo (also with warm water to the consistency of yogurt and a pinch of salt). I will then mix this immediately into the henna and apply it to my damp, towel dried hair. I will wrap it with plastic wrap and leave it on for approx 4 hours. Do you think that since my hair is bleached, the the henna will show up too much (and too orange-y) with my cutbacks on the indigo and amla? I will of course also do a hairball test, but a second opinion would also be great :) And is the process I described correct? Sorry for the long post, it's my first time using henna and i'm a little worried! ;)
Carrie
If you use warm water in your henna mix, it will be ready pretty quickly, so be ready and don't let it sit too long. Test a dab on your palm for a couple minutes to see if you get a stain when you wipe it off.  When you do, your paste is ready to use.  Heat makes that happen faster; if you use room temp water the process will be slower and your paste will stay active longer.

either cool or warm water for indigo is okay (but not real hot/boiling).

I think the mix you describe will come out auburn, not brown or brownish red. Because there is half as much indigo as henna, it will probably be on the reddish/auburn side. But as I mentioned before, the bleached hair and the amla make it possible that it  WILL come out brown ... so testing is a great idea :) 

If your hair is very damaged from the bleaching or dyeing it's had, it *could* have trouble holding onto henna, and if so, it won't hold onto indigo very well either, and you could end up with orange hair.  Only the hairball knows!