Henna newbie needs some advice!

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
castiel
Henna newbie needs some advice!
Hello, I'm completely new to all this henna stuff as I've been using chemical dyes on my hair for the past couple years. It's currently a light pink (used to be flamingo pink but has faded into a blonde salmony color) with fairly dark brown roots (eek!). It's pretty damaged, and rather fine/thinnish so the strengthening characteristics of henna definitely appeal to me. I've done some research and there seems to be so many different kinds of henna and so many recipes and additives that people include (lemons, tea, etc.) that just thinkin bout it makes my head spin @_@ Here are some examples of the color I'm hoping to achieve: http://cdn2.stylecraze.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/henna.jpg http://31.media.tumblr.com/fe3d15fff6f1abe8385264c2ede86d06/tumblr_muqvz... I really want to avoid a yellowy bright orange color, that's the main thing! I realize that most of those photos, the people probably started out with brown hair and thus the red has those nice darker brown undertones, so I'd even be fine with just something like this: http://24.media.tumblr.com/e95a0f25a925289200f3296cf73b588d/tumblr_mss4b... Hopefully it's achievable on nearly blonde hair! I have to buy the henna in person, not online, so my question is; what should I look out for on the package? What to avoid? Is there a certain type it should be/ country it should be from? Also, should I be mixing it with anything or just water? Thanks in advance!
ACWN
Re: Henna newbie needs some advice!

I would *normally* recommend you dye your hair back to its natural color (as henna over the pale pink color you have will give you a coppery color that may be funky from the pink), but depending on how dark your natural color is... you may not get a visible color change with henna, sadly.

Henna is a translucent dye and can only add to what you have, it cannot mask like chemical dye. If you start out with dark brown hair, you will get a cherry cola to no real color change (save for a red shimmer in the sun). To get the color you're after, you'll need to have light to medium brown hair (which would mean dyeing your length that color and lightening your roots to match, and lightening your roots every time there after - it gets VERY tedious after a while) and a good quality, decent dye content henna.

Most henna you get off the shelf wont be that great unless you can find kits from Tap Dancing Lizard/Ancient Sunrise (though I don't know that they offer them in stores, I think at one point they were trying but don't quote me on that). The only other brand that I would recommend trying is Jamila, but you want the body art quality henna, not the "for hair". The dye content, unfortunately, will vary greatly from batch to batch. One batch could be very strong, another could be super weak.

belovedhlin
It's possible to get a color that deep by repeated hennaing of your hair.  Each time you henna the color will get darker because the henna is cumulative.  To get a deep red like that you might try our Rajasthani Monsoon - it might well start quite coppery, but it does deepen quite nicely. 

I don't have any advice about an off the shelf henna.  Is there a reason you can't order online?
castiel
Thank you for the replies! I'd prefer not to use chemical dyes on my hair again to darken it just because I don't want to further damage it, but I did sort out the issue with my credit card so I am now able to order online (phew). I did a little clicking through the mixes page earlier, and I found I really like the color Bob managed to get here http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/justine/ (the color of the bottom half of his hair, specifically.) It seems like that is gonna be a bit more achievable than a darker brownish red, and I like it all the same, so! :) Which henna would you guys recommend for that?
HennaGal
admin
I suggest using a mid-level dye content henna (around 2%)  or Mehandi's Rajasthani Monsoon. Mix with something like 50/50 apple cider vinegar and water or 50/50 cranberry juice and water.