New. Want a copper color

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Jennyboxergrl
New. Want a copper color
Hi! brand new to Henna :). I have been chemically red before (was a dark auburn color) Loved being red, just hated the expensive up keep because it faded so fast. I been researching this web page and others looking for the right way to henna my hair. I want a copper color. I know the darker parts of my hair will stay a darker red than the blonde. I have mousy/ dirty blonde hair naturally with some slight red undertones. I have highlights in the top of my hair that I had done a little over a month ago. Here's a shot of the top of my hair and the side side: http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/jennyboxergrl1yboxergrl/media/image2_z... top: http://s1303.photobucket.com/user/jennyboxergrl1yboxergrl/media/image3_z... I need help choosing which henna to get to achieve these results and what I should mix it with. I read to get a more copper red just to mix with distilled water (not sure if that is right?). And how long I should let he henna stay in my hair? Any help will be greatly appreciated!! Thank YOU!
Carrie
Re: New. Want a copper color
For a brighter, orangey copper color, you can use a low/medium dye content henna Jasmine, mix with something not quite as acidic as apple or lemon juice (cool chamomile tea would be good), let it stand for dye release for about 2-4 hours, then apply for 2 hours or so. I'd suggest doing a hairball or strand test first.  Let your test strand develop its final color (wait at least 2 days, preferably a week) before evaluating the color.
Jennyboxergrl
Thank you so much! I will order the Jasmine and do the strand tests. I'll let it oxidize for a week- I've learned over the years that patience when doing your hair is best ;). Thank you again!
Carrie
I should also mention that direct heat styling like a straightener or curling iron (where the metal touches the hair) can darken your color, so be cautious if you don't want to lose your lighter, brighter color. Blow drying is fine, the heat isn't as high.
Jennyboxergrl
OK. Thanks! I blowdry and use a round brush , but that's all the heat I put on it.
Jennyboxergrl
Received my henna in the mail today! YAY! How many chamomile tea bags should I use for a quart of water to mix with 100g of henna?
Carrie
about 8, and let it steep until it's cool.
Jennyboxergrl
Okay, Thanks! :) So after it cools to room temp- I'm gonna mix it to a yogurt consistency and I'm going to wait for dye release. going to do a strand test and if I understand correctly, after I get dye release, I can freeze the left over henna and use on the rest of my hair after about a week, so I can see how the strand test turns out
HennaGal
admin
Hello! You can certainly freeze your henna. Once the henna is frozen it will produce a little bit darker of a stain when used again. You might leave the mix on your hair  30 mins to an hour less then the strand test.
ACWN

Its best to mix your henna to a lumpy mashed potato stage before dye release. Its easier on your hand! Once you have dye release (orange stain on palm), THEN you can mix it smooth. Its easier, for some weird reason. The dye, maybe? Dunno. But, yeah.

I don't think freezing it will release so much extra dye that you'll need to cut back as much time as another poster suggested, but you could freeze before you strand test and then strand test with a bit of defrosted paste so you can judge better.

When you freeze your henna, throw it in ziplock bags in root only amounts (between 50 - 100g per bag) and mush them flat for faster freezing/thawing. When you do it this way, you can pull only what you need, when you need it and the rest stays frozen!

Frozen henna will last about 6 months.

Jennyboxergrl
Thanks! I'm strand testing today after freezing it last night. Thanks again for the input!!
belovedhlin
I hope it comes out nice for you.  Chamomile tea is not acidic enough to really dye release henna so that it is permanent.  You really want something more acidic like apple juice or apple cider vinegar.  Freezing does deepen the color if you are looking for something darker before you apply it.
ACWN

I'm going to have to strongly disagree on that one! Chamomile tea is plenty acidic for permanent dye uptake! It just needs to be brewed very strong (several bags per cup water) and room temp or chilled. :)

I use tea, and while I've changed what type over the years.. I originally used chamomile. It was definitely permanent. I was doing it over bleached hair as well, which can sometimes cause some color leeching/fading cause of damage. I can honestly say that the only time I had an issue with weird/brassy colors or fading was when I used cassia in my mix, but I think that's cause it didn't agree with my hair. I used chamomile because my hair WAS damaged and it was much more gentle on it.

The tea I use now is probably more acidic than chamomile, but the ends are as intensely colored now as the day I did them.... going on two, maybe 3, years ago.

Also, just as a general note... vinegar can make henna stink to high heaven, so just a fair warning! It works fine for sure, but if you're sensitive to smell, I wouldn't use it in henna for dye release.

belovedhlin
The average ph of chamomile tea is about 6.-6.5.  This is not to say it won't work, but typically you want a ph of roughly 3.  Yes, the apple cider vinegar does smell pretty bad, but many people use it as a rinse and don't mind the smell.   
Carrie
I've used chamomile tea many times and it's completely permanent.
Carrie
In fact, the only method of henna preparation I've tried that was not permanent was boiling water. 

My experiments are documented here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/39335752@N04/

ACWN
ACV rinses and using ACV in henna are two entirely different things. As a rinse, its gonna smell like vinegar no matter what, but when you mix it with henna... the henna smell and the vinegar smell result in a rather pungent smell that's not even remotely pleasant.
Carrie
LOL, that's true ... in fact I don't like how lemon juice mixes smell either, compared with other fruit juices like apple, berries, grape, diluted red wine, and teas which smell better.

With an ACV rinse, the smell goes away once the hair is dry. The scent of henna paste lingers on and on so it's nice if you can make it smell as good as possible :)
Ophelia
Another person posting to assure you (from experience) that a chamomile tea mix IS totally permanent!