Leave in conditioner and styling products after henna

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
auntieh07
Leave in conditioner and styling products after henna
Hi, I have always used a leave in conditioner on my hair after washing but after henna for the past year I have skipped it for 2 days and waited until the next hair wash. I am trying to combat dryness, it is ok to use leave in conditioner after a henna treatment? My hair is usually very dry after I use henna and it takes it about a month to bounce back to normal. I also have a bunch of it falling out so I thought maybe this would help. Thanks
HennaGal
admin
Re: Leave in conditioner and styling products after henna
you can use your leave in conditioner for sure! Hennas a very strong dye so the conditioner wont bother it at all =)
auntieh07
Thank you so much! Also, am currently having a lot of hair fall out after henna and extreme drying have tried everything from oils to egg. I am wondering, am I supposed to be washing my hair once I rinse the henna out and conditioning it? Usually I just condition and then wait two days and then I use shampoo and conditioner. If my hair is tangle free after I just wash out the henna it isn't anymore after the two days and usually takes it almost a month to bounce back to normal but by then its time for henna again. Any suggestions on this? Currently I have a hair ball the size of my hand that I have collected over the past three months of hair that has broken and fallen off.
HennaGal
admin
Are you hennaing your whole head each time? After a certain point the henna will be so bound to the hair that it becomes dry and stiff. Its best to do your whole head every once in a while and keep up with the roots in between.  If your only using henna its perfectly fine to shampoo and condition right after.  We naturally shed about 100-150 hairs a day. If it seems more than this, the weight of the henna may be getting too heavy.
auntieh07
Thank you so much! This might have been adding to my dryness problem. I am only using pure bc henna. It almost seemed like when I was using the lemon as an activator my cuticles would open and not close and took it weeks to be back to normal and then not washing it out immediately could have done more harm than good. Will try it today and see how it works out. Will repost results. Hoping for a break through!
HennaGal
admin
you might try apple cider vinegar in place of the lemon. It's very good for the hair and scalp!
Carrie
If you don't have any trouble getting good color uptake in your hair with henna, and you've losing a lot or hair during rinse out (probably due to the traction of the mud on your scalp)  you may want to try applying dye-released henna paste mixed with about a quarter to half as much conditioner or some kind of gel like pectin gel or flaxseed gel. You'll get a little less dye this way because you're diluting the paste, but much easier rinsing and it could solve your hair fall issue.
auntieh07
Carrie, HennaGal, OMG, I want to cry. My hair is the softest and healthiest it has ever been after using henna EVER. I think I found what works for me. What I did different? Not much but bamm! I mixed my henna with water and just one teaspoon of lemon juice. I let it sit for an hour and a half mixing regularly. Then I washed my hair just shampoo added an egg at an hour and let it sit with the henna for 30 minutes (an hour and a half complete time). I applied it to my hair more wet than damp. I did the beehive & let it sit for two hours. i wrapped it really good with climg wrap. after two hours I washed it off, it came off easily and for the first time very little came off like my hair had absorbed it all. I know I asked about shampooing but it was right about that time that I noticed that my hair felt heavy and like silk. I didn't shampoo. It it ain't broke don't fix it! I got out and combed it, no knots! Soft, heavy hair and straight! ( I have wavy, curly hair). I applied my leave in conditioner and here I sit with a grin from ear to ear. Its healthy and I know it is going to stick because it has never, EVER felt like this before. All my grays are covered and are a light coppery color which I know will darken slightly. Ladies....I have found my henna niche.... There is hope for people like me who had bad results before!
Carrie
I'm so glad you found something that works for you! So do you think it's because you used less acidity (just a spoonful of lemon juice)  or is it the egg? 

Although Mehandi doesn't recommend adding extras like egg or oil to henna paste because it may interfere with absorption by gray hair, you will find it in "traditional" recipes - and it certainly sounds like your hair did well with it!

auntieh07
Well, it wasn't the egg and it wasn't the juice. I will tell you, last time I did this I used 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and the egg. I didn't let the henna sit for as long and I didn't let the egg sit for as long. The results were horrible, tangled hair during conditioner application, tangled hair with knots afterwards. Just a mess. Took one month to get back to normal and then time to henna again. The time before that I did, no lemon, egg and olive oil. The result was the color did not hold onto my roots. So no olive oil after that. The time before that apple juice and egg, horrible knots, worse than lemon. I think timing played a role, I let the egg sit in the mix for 30 after it had been developing for over an hour, just a teaspoon of lemon. Then I think this is what did it: I put it only almost wet hair. Not dripping water but very, very, damp with no drying yet. I don't know why this worked, my hair is just is weird but. It worked. My hair absorbed almost all of the henna very little washed out when I rinsed it out in the shower. When I was doing my beehive, it was so moist, and then I doubled up on the cling wrap. After a while I began to feel my head warm, my hair was warm. I left it in for two hours. The result was as if I had done a brazilian blow out. My hair is straight, which I love but not tangled, heavy, healthy and the color is super rich. I didn't bother to shampoo because while I was rinsing it felt as it does when I do a deep conditioner. After having had such bad results in the past, I was afraid shampooing would dry it out so I left it. My hair, feels like silk this morning, it amazing. My hair was falling out. I mean falling out. I have a huge furball the size of my hand that I have collected over the past 3 months of how much was falling out during shampoo, during condition, after during styling and finger combing throughout the day. Never in my life had I had so much hair fall out. After yesterday's application I had a like 5 hairs fall out. No more. Its strong. I still can't believe it but I am not doing anything different EVER again. I stayed with because I love the color henna yeilds, its rich and stays so vibrant, it does not fade and you can't get that in a box. And chemical free? This I knew was it, I just had to figure out how to get it to work for me. I am so glad I did. I will never use anything but this ever again. And I am so glad now that I can help others who might be experiencing the same disasters after henna. If it worked for me, it can work for them. I didn't get it wrong...I just figured out 20 different ways that would not work and then I had my breakthrough. So glad. Thanks!
Carrie
Oh, that's so interesting that you weren't letting your henna paste stand very long to develop dye release before. I think most people here on the forum let it stand even longer than 90 minutes (dye release time varies depending on what your liquid is, and whether it is warm or cool).  The paste itself does get silkier and smoother with that standing time. I can see how letting it get to that point would make a difference in the texture of the paste, and ease of rinsing.  The way you describe your hair after rinsing - heavy, silky, like you'd just done a deep conditioning treatment - that's what I've always experienced, too.

It's also interesting to hear that your hair absorbed almost all of the henna and very little washed out; I have never heard that before!  How many grams of henna did you use?
auntieh07
Carrie, This one time I let it sit for an hour and a half for dye release, my son is just 3 months old and my daughter is 2 so time is limited! There have been times though when I have let it sit 6 hours and also times when I have let it sit over night and have not had this silkiness but rather disaster but then again back then I was using way too much lemon juice about a quarter of a cup. I know that's insane! When I say that my hair absorbed it all so well and very little washed out I mean it took me less than 2 minutes to rinse it out over the shower head not on my knees under the water in the tub. There have been applications when it seemed everything I put on my head was going down the drain. This time it didn't and I think that the egg might have had something to do with that since it is also a protein. I did not mean to let the egg sit in the mixture for 30 minutes but I had to feed my son so went to give him and bottle and then came back to it and it had been 30 minutes. I used room temperature filtered water. I have also heard it said that henna has to stay moist on your head because if it doesn't it will not be able to release any more dye onto your hair. Is this true? Since I tend to have dry hair and my applications previously were on more dry than damp hair could this be why I had such bad results on top of too much lemon? Just a thought...
auntieh07
oh & u asked how many grams? I used a 100 gram packet but only about 3/4 of it with about a cup of water and a teaspoon of lemon juice. When I added the egg an hour later I mixed it very well and then it sat for 30 minutes.
Carrie
I'm guessing your hair doesn't like the lemon juice very much, the acidity of it, and less acidity makes your hair happier. 

It's true that if you leave your hennaed head uncovered so the mud dries out and cracks, it won't dye as well.

Applying to damp hair may also have helped you rinse more easily.