How to make orange color stay?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
TudorLily
How to make orange color stay?
Hi, I mix my BAQ henna with warm water and it turns my hair a beautiful orange color. I have straight, waist-length hair which used to be naturally auburn/orange and now is auburn/brown. I only need to leave the henna on for 15 mins and the color is perfect but after about a week it has all washed out. I really don't want the red tint that is so typical of hennaed hair so I've been too scared to try using any lemon juice. Any advice? Thanks so much!
ACWN
Re: How to make orange color stay?

The only real way to keep the orange is to apply a weaker dye content henna (made with something very mildly acidic like tea) for a short period of time (2 hours) over blonde hair. Even if you do this over your natural color, you're still going to get auburn-ish tones because of your starting color being darker. That's just the nature of henna.

Unfortunately, that would mean lightening your hair and then your roots every time you do your roots from then on. And you'd have to do JUST your roots to avoid darkening the color. I've done it for the exact same reason as you, I liked the orange tones... but it gets to be a huge pain after a while.

TudorLily
Thanks for the reply. I really don't want to bleach my hair so I guess I'll just have to accept that the color I want only lasts a week or so and just redo more often. If I add just a little tea will that change the color (I don't want it to be red; I want the orange color I get with just water) or will it make the color stay longer? Thanks!
Carrie
The brightness you see initially is just how henna looks for the first day or two.  After that it darkens - it doesn't wash out, normally. I wonder if what appears to you as "washing out" is simply the loss of brightness that occurs with henna, always?  There is no way to prevent henna from darkening that way.  The only way to end up with lighter, brighter color is to start with lighter hair and only get a little dye uptake from henna (in other words, a lower dye content henna and/or shorter application time - but 15 minutes is extremely short, shorter than most people would do. In 15 minutes most people will get  more of a yellow color on white hair - not orange. It just takes some time for the henna to be taken up in the hair, thus longer applications give more color.

Using tea vs water should not make any difference in the color, really.  Longer application time will make the red/orange dye more intense - brighter at first, as always, and then darker after that. Repeated use of henna will build up to darker color in the hair.
HIGHLANDERGIRL61
I have been using Henna about a Year and a half. I use African Henna, I mix this with Raw Apple Cider Braggs Vinegar, I leave it over night to dye release, This turns into Light Coppery Reddish Brown. My natural color is Ash Brown. I love the way it turns out. I was shopping at "Trader Joes," and a young lady said to me ,That she was dying her hair Red, the first time and she dyed it it was wonderful, the second time she dyed it it was never the same with faded color all over. I told her I use Henna and gave her the website information. I will never go back to using Chemical colors, I love the way Henna makes my hair "Feel and Look. I only Mix it with Braggs Raw Apple Cider Vinegar. Write me back so we can chat!