Which henna/mix to use for bright red hair?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
LindyHoppingMidwife
Which henna/mix to use for bright red hair?
I am naturally blond but have a chemical red dye in my hair right now. Henna isn't new to me....I've been using henna for the past two years but I was sharing henna with my housemate. She was the one to do all of the buying and prep work. So now that I'm on my own I don't know what to use(hence the fact that I caved and used a chemical dye a few weeks ago due to an upcoming event). I love henna and want to go back to it. I like a bright, deep red color. Any advice on what henna to use? Thanks in advance! :)
Carrie
Re: Which henna/mix to use for bright red hair?
On blonde hair, a high dye content henna like Twilight or Monsoon will give deep auburn red. To keep it from eventually becoming browner I'd use chamomile tea as your liquid, instead of lemon juice or an amla mix.

If you don't need it to be THAT dark, and would like more brightness, then you could use a more moderate dye content like Jasmine or the Henna for African Hair - both have 1.4% lawsone and won't give quite as dark a color.

http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hairhenna.html
belovedhlin
For a bright, deep red I would recommend using Monsoon and cranberry juice as your acidic mixing liquid.  The cranberry juice smells good, and promotes the red in the henna. 
tbonita
Hibiscus petal powder is great for boosting red, albeit argumentatively temporarily. Oh, and it's good for your hair.