Gloss Treatment for Teen Girls

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
JayPee
Gloss Treatment for Teen Girls

Hi-

I am considering the application of a Gloss Treatment for conditioning and strengthening purposes for my 12 and 15 yo daughters hair. My 15 yo had a 2 to 3 inch trim of split ends on 11-27-13. There is still some frizziness but she was not willing to lose anymore length. There are no more thin spaces at the ends and there is a notable improvement in the overall appearance--clean and even. Hair just grazes the nape of her neck. My stylist believes that proper conditioning to fill in the shaft and follow up trims every 6-8 weeks will prevent further advancement of breakage. We want to restore the healthy state to her once past shoulder length hair. Both girls have African-Am virgin hair...no chemical processing ever. My 12 yo no longer has spit ends but we want to retain length with her as well. I have been using henna on my hair for conditioning and silver coverage since 2009 purchased here. My hair has grown from shoulder to just above waist length. I do believe the use of monthly henna treatments has impacted my length retention. My girls want the same results.

My thought is that I would not use Twilight with the girls but Cassia? Obviously coloring their hair is not the goal here.  Is this a good choice to use with teens? What do you suggest to get the desired results for their hair? What formulation, what to mix the powder with, (I use apple juice or plain spring water for me), how long to set on hair...etc.

Thanks./ JayPee.

ACWN
Re: Gloss Treatment for Teen Girls

Okay, just to make everyone on the same page.. a "gloss", by definition here is henna diluted by something that has no dye, like conditioner or a pectin gel, to reduce the amount of color you get. It also reduces the benefits. Cassia also works to make a gloss as its dye is very weak and only shows up on white or pale blonde hair, and also adds its own benefits to the mix. Cassia alone would just be applying cassia, not a gloss.

If their hair is naturally very dark brown to black, they will not actually get a visible color change with pure henna. Just a pretty red shimmer in the sun. Even with repeated applications, your girls' hair would never actually turn visibly red if its very dark. However, if you want to combat any red tones at all, you could follow up with indigo for a two step and give them black cat black hair, and then henna over that as much as you want with no red shimmer at all.

You can use cassia in place of henna, but keep in mind the benefits are not as strong/intense as with henna and typically only really last about 3 weeks when the cassia fades from the hair (where as henna's benefits are permanent). Cassia can also disagree very strongly with some people's hair, making it very straw like and brittle rather than soft and strong. Strand testing before hand would be a good idea.

However, you'd want to mix cassia with something very mildly acidic, let sit for the same time as the henna and then leave on the hair for as long as your girls can stand - 2 - 3 hours bare minimum.

JayPee
Thanks for the clarification re:"gloss mix." So it doesn't matter which type of henna to apply...Twilight....with the two step process? and did you mean I only have to Henna/Indigo for the first application to avoid red tones, then Henna alone for all subsequent apps period? or would a two step be needed after a certain period of Henna apps?
ACWN

You can use whatever henna you like, but if you want the most benefits, I'd recommend something with the highest dye content you can get - like Twilight.

As far as I know, once you do a two step... henna's tones will not show over it no matter how many times you henna from that point on. You would, however, have to do a two step on their roots at some point to avoid any red shimmer there. In that case, what you could do is do a two step on them, then henna for several months in a row. Once they have several inches of roots, repeat the two step all over.

HennaGal
admin
Hi there! It sounds like monthly applications of the cassia may be the best solution. Henna and indigo are so permanent, the girls would be stuck with the color until it grows out.
ACWN

Going off the assumption that your daughters' hair is naturally very dark, a two step wouldn't create a color in their hair that they don't already have. Or at least not a drastic color change.

However, HennaGal does raise a good point... if in a few years time, either one of your girls get that urge to change their hair color (as a lot of young ladies often do), a two step would make that very difficult. They wouldn't be able to lighten their hair since the indigo would turn it green. Henna alone would also make it tricky since henna tends to stick no matter how much you lighten it and by the time you DO get it all bleached out, you have to lop it all off any way.

Its not IMPOSSIBLE though, but veeeeery tedious and gradual. They would have to gradually back off those dyes, adding more and more cassia or conditioner to their mix to dilute it down and do only their roots, trimming as they go. Once they're at all cassia or conditioner, then they could start lightening their roots (could shoot for an ombre effect) and once the least of the indigo (or henna) is trimmed out, then they could do whatever they wanted.

So, yeah. That is something for all of you to consider as well.