Need Some Motivation!

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
seen
Need Some Motivation!
I am still getting this brassy orange color after I henna my graying hair. I first did the 1:1 henna- indigo, followed by indigo gloss, waited a few days then applied 1:2 henna- indigo followed by the indigo gloss. My hair color is almost black now even though I was aiming for brown shade, but I am ok with that. How can I get the roots to look brown or black without the brassy color?? Did anyone manage to succeed in getting anything but brassy color for there roots? I am tempted to go back to chemicals. Please help me to stay faithful to Henna. :) Please share your tips and or success stories
ACWN
Re: Need Some Motivation!

Lets see if we can troubleshoot this for you... can you take us through how you're mixing each dye? How you're applying it? Are you applying on freshly washed hair? Is there conditioner in your hair? Are you covering your hair with plastic? Something to keep it warm? How long are you keeping it on? Are you washing your hair directly after hennigo-ing with shampoo?

---------------------

What I would suggest doing is washing your hair - or at least your roots - with a mix of clarifying shampoo and baking soda or dish soap. You can get a cheap toothbrush to apply it to just your roots and scrub. What this will do is make your hair very clean in those areas and will help open up the hair shaft. Do not use conditioner, it will inhibit dye uptake - it sounds like you might have stubborn gray.

If you WANT black hair, I would recommend a two step... Apply a good henna mixed with some sortve acid (apple juice being the weakest I would suggest), leave on for 3 - 5 hours. Wash out well. You can use conditioner to get the majority out, but be sure to use shampoo before you finish to get any conditioner out. Get your hair towel dried, then apply indigo (mixed with distilled water and a little salt) for 1 - 2 hours. Rinse out with loads of conditioner only, no shampoo for the first 48 hours.

If you're wanting more of a brown, lets troubleshoot the problems you're having first and go from there!

seen
Thanks for the response. I do have stubborn grey. I usually mix my henna with lemon juice-water=1:1. leave it for dye release then add the indigo mixture (mixed with warm water and dash of salt), add 2 table spoons of amla and mix everything together. Apply for clean hair (towel dry) and keep on for a 4-5 hours. I keep my hair wrapped with plastic with a wool hat on. Then I wash my hair with conditioner. No washing and no oil for 2 days. I think I am following all the instructions correctly! I am giving this another try. I have a Yemeni henna so I am using that with ACV and warm water. I Will do the 2 steps this time as my hair turned almost black with all the henna applications I had so far, so black roots will do. I will report back on my results.
ACWN

Actually, you might be killing the indigo. Amla is acidic, which indigo doesn't like and should be mixed with henna ONLY. Mixing amla directly with indigo or after making a hennigo is likely to kill the indigo. Mix 25g amla to 100g henna, use water as your liquid and let sit for about 8 - 12 hours for dye release.

If you're cool with all black, then a two step would just be the easiest for you, I think. You might want to shoot for 4 - 5 hours for the henna and 2 hours for the indigo. Wash your hair really well with baking soda and clarifying shampoo before hand, it'll help with that stubborn gray. You can also try applying a constant source of heat like a heat cap, or.. if you don't mind looking silly, you can tie a heating pad to your head. It cuts the dye time in half and lets the dye penetrate better.

ETA: Forgot to mention, seen! There have been a couple posts recently about trying the indigo step on completely dry hair the next day. It might be a nightmare to get it into your hair, but its been reported a time or two that for some reason the indigo holds on better and seems to be more permanent, it doesn't seem to want to fade. Still not really sure why... maybe because something about the wet hair is inhibiting some dye uptake? Like the way a shirt that's  soaked with water can only accept a small amount of dye. I dunno, just a guess on my part.

Any way, that might be something else to try!

seen
So I washed my hair using clarifying shampoo and loads of backing powder. My mixture of henna(1/2 cup)+ 1/4 cup warm water+ big table spoon of ACV. It took over 16 hrs for dye release. Had the henna on my towel dry hair for 4 hours. Washed my hair with conditioner and then removed all traces of conditioner with shampoo. Mixed indigo with warm water and a dash of salt. I let the mixture sit for 10 minutes before applying to hair. After 2 hours I washed it out with shampoo. I have a lot more success this time. I see a few brassy hairs but the majority is dark reddish brown. I want to reapply again next week and wanted to include amla in the mixture but was not sure when to add the amla if I am doing the two steps henna- indigo. Can I add the amla to the indigo?
ACWN

Are you testing for dye release or just assuming? I cant imagine henna taking 16 hours with warm water and diluted vinegar, especially with it has a dye release time of (roughly) 8 - 10 hours when not diluted. Yeah, some hennas take longer than others, but... I dunno.

You also don't want to let the indigo sit at all. Mix and apply straight off. You should NOT have washed it with shampoo!! That's why its a dark reddish brown instead of black, it was pulled out by the shampoo. NO shampoo for 48 hours! Conditioner only!

In regards to the amla, I covered that in the first part of my last reply.

CCartwrightJones
admin
There are things you can do, yes, but the best way to trouble shoot is to call customer service and ask directly.  With more information, we can get you better results.  1-855-MEHANDI , or go to live chat at mehandi.com.  Customer service made dozens and dozens of human hair swatches and put them up on their walls, with notes on all the different mixes and hennas.  There are often subtle problems that we just plain have to talk with you to solve.
HennaGal
admin
Have you tried using amla?
KimberlyD

Hello, I have greay hair as well.  When I first started using henna I just went for the black color.  Which you get from henna then do indigo after washing out the henna.  Then I got lazy and just start doing the henna for that auburn color.  Worked well for me.

So I would recommended to find the right mix for the brown you are trying to get and do the roots fist.  Once you get the right mixture combo then do the ends of your hair.  You will have to keep the mix ratio for re-doing the roots only.

The grey have to have the henna plant on them before it will take any other color.  So the auburn is the first.  Your grey maybe stubborn and require more application to get the brown color of your ends. 

Just be patient ... henna color last longer, is healthy for your hair .. will condition your hair and scalp.  will make your hair thicker, healthier and help to promote growth by conditioning your scalp.

Hope this gives you some motivation. 

If you stop using SLS shampoo your color will last longer.  Switch to natural organic products and color safe SLS free shampoos.

Kim

KimberlyD

For my stubborn grey's I don't add anything to my henna mix but water.

I only wash the henna out of my hair.   I don't think I wash for two days.    I think it is good to let the henna sit on your hair for the two days.

I just do henna with water (on clean shampooed hair .. no conditioner on hair).  My greys turn orange.  Then I follow up with the henna.  I was only going for the black hair.

I only use henna from Mehandi the sun rise I order it off line.  I have not done a henna for 2 years and I am doing a brunette color.  I am praying that by just using 1 part henna and 2 parts indigo it is enough to cover the greys.

I think now that your greys are black you can add a henna over the black roots and get the brown your reaching for,

and then you can just touch up the roots on a regular basis.  I would not let my roots turn completely grey before touching up the roots once you get the desired color.

I would recommended not adding any special ingredient to your henna or washing it for 2 days after you rinse the henna out.  You should not have to wash your hair after the henna it was done on clean hair and it does a pretty good job a conditioning you hair,

Kim

ACWN

Unfortunately, Kim, I'm going to have to disagree with you on several points. Once you get black from henna and indigo, applying henna over it will NOT get you back to brown. Just doesn't work that way. Plant dyes cannot lighten.

Also, we recommend some sort of acid in henna for stubborn gray as it not only helps the dye penetrate better, it makes the color permanent as the dye is active for a longer period of time, which gives it more time to bind better.

Once the henna is rinsed from your hair, that's it. All that's left is likely to be plant residue and that doesn't really do anything but make the hair dry and crunchy a lot of the time. Plus, henna cannot dye once its dried out. Letting any residue sit on the hair doesn't really benefit, once henna is in your hair, its there for good. Washing it wont pull it out. And while giving it a day or two in between doesn't seem to hurt anything, indigo seems to hold better when applied to freshly henna-ed hair, usually meaning directly after washing the henna paste out.

Also, when mixed in correctly, amla not only seems to help the indigo bind better, it can cool down the red tones of henna in a hennigo mix.

I'm glad the methods you use work for you and I hope I haven't offended you at all, but everyone's hair is different and the method you use often doesn't work well for most other people. Least that's what we've found here on the forum. The steps I've mentioned are often what we recommend to folks here on the forum. Do they always work? Nope, sometimes they still need to be troubleshot and other tricks need to be tried (such as some of what you've suggested), but as a general guideline.. they're what has worked best.

KimberlyD

Glad to know there are steps to take for a better henna experience.  I wish I would have known about adding the acid to the henna for stubborn greys. 

I have always followed the instructions and it worked out well for me.  I did not have as many greys as I do know,  Just mainly the edges in the front of my hair. 

I just followed the instructions that cam with my henna kit and that was 2 years ago.  I am awaiting on my order now.

What acid do you recommended adding in the henna for the stubborn greys?

Are you saying that once you wash the henna out you can do a shampoo and it will not lessen the effect of the henna?

I ordered the dark brunette .. so I will be mixing 1 part henna and 2 parts indigo.  I worry that just one pack of henna may not be enough since I am adding mostly indigo,

Thanks for sharing with me I appreciate it ... I am still learning and just thought I would share my experience and what worked for me ..thanks to your comments I know now that I have lots to learn and can now improve on my henna experience,

Kim

ACWN

Any thing acidic - lemon juice, orange juice or apple juice. Apple juice is the weakest acid I would recommend. Keep in mind that they all have different dye release times, the more acidic a mix.. the longer it takes to dye release. You can find an time release chart based on acid in the hair and body FAQ under the Henna Page home pages.

Yes, you can wash henna and it will not lessen the benefits or color. This is HENNA, not indigo. Indigo we recommend waiting on using shampoo for 48 hours as it can often be pulled out from the detergents in shampoo.

If you're worried, you can do a two step hennigo (though that may mean you need to purchase more henna on its own)... straight henna for several hours (longer than 2) followed by the 2:1 hennigo mix for a few hours (no less than 4) - you may consider doing it on dry hair the next day too. In some cases, its helped the indigo stay better.

If you still have problems, try washing with baking soda and either dish soap or clarifying shampoo several times before you apply. This can open the hair shaft and allow the dye into stubborn gray.

KimberlyD
Thanks...I have lemon juice I will add it I will wash with baking soda it really open my Hair up....it also makes my hair rough ... I really would love to get the brunette color by Mixing henna indigo...I know the grey will need More than one application before I achieve Brunette roots,....if ever . I will update this post thread on my result. Thank for the kind and much needed guidance Kim Key West