HELP!!!!!!!

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
gulfy
HELP!!!!!!!

I am a new user to henna. The first time I used just 'dark brown' henna and got very light brown roots. (My roots are grey and the rest of my hair is dark brown) I am trying to match my roots to my hair. That being said - I am so FRUSTRATED and ready to give up. I ordered Dark Brown Henna w/indigo from the Henna Boys on Amazon - left it on overnight and my roots were a light brown again, I wrote to the company, they sent me free product, said I needed to mix natural henna (which I know is red and not what I needed) but I did it and now I have red roots with my dark brown hair. I love the red and wish I could do my whole head that way but I know it's not possible right now. Can I use indigo alone for my roots, I don't want black hair and I like the reddish tint henna gives my hair. All I want is for my roots to match my hair and I love what henna does to it. Can someone give me a simple explanation of what I need to do?

Thank you so much,

Kathy

ACWN
Re: HELP!!!!!!!

The best method would be to not use premixed dyes, that is henna and indigo together in one package. The reason being is they have drastically different dye release needs. Henna needs acid and time, while indigo just needs water and should only be mixed when you're ready to use it. Most premixed brands require hot or boiling water to get both dyes to release together and this is not the best method for optimal coverage or truly permanent color.

What I would suggest is ordering a dark brown kit for gray hair from mehandi.com - this forum's host site - and follow the instructions given there. Since you already have some henna on your roots, a dark brown mix should take just fine when mixed and applied properly.

Basically what you do is mix the henna with an acid, press plastic wrap to the surface and once you get an obvious orange stain on the palm of your hand, mix the indigo with water and a little salt, then combine the two and apply to freshly washed hair with NO conditioner in it. Cover your hair with plastic (like a cheap shower cap), then something to keep it warm (beanie, scarf, etc), then I would leave it on for 4 - 5 hours. Rinse well with conditioner and avoid shampoo for 48 hours.

It may be hard to do, but if you can... we always recommend strand testing first to make sure a specific mix works for you like it should.

gulfy
Re: HELP!!!!!!!
Thanks so much!