Advice For Going From Light-Medium Mousy Brown Hair To Medium Auburn Hair With Henna,Amla, And/Or Indigo

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
salix
Advice For Going From Light-Medium Mousy Brown Hair To Medium Auburn Hair With Henna,Amla, And/Or Indigo
Hello! I'm new to the forum, but have been looking through it for a few months. My hair is a light-medium, mousy brown color with lighter ends from the sun. Here is a picture that resembles my hair color: http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/salix11/media/Medium-Ash-Brown-Hair-Co... I have done a henna gloss before with a very weak, health food store brand henna (Light Mountain Natural). It was hardly noticeable, and only had a slightly orange tint in the sunlight for a few days. I am now looking to get a medium auburn color (not too red, not too copper, not too burgundy. I would describe it as reddish-brown). Here is an idea of what I am looking for: http://s1292.photobucket.com/user/salix11/media/18a660781c076ed489245ae0... After browsing the forums, I found a couple of mixes that might work for what I'm looking to get: -Multiple applications of henna (I'm leaning against this, because I think it may come out either too red or burgundy for my liking.) -1/4 amla 3/4 henna -1/2 amla 1/2 henna -1/4 indigo 3/4 henna -1/3 indigo 2/3 henna -1/2 indigo 1/2 henna (Henna would be Red Raj or Rajasthani Twilight.) The only thing is, I'm not quite sure which would work the best for my current hair color/goal hair color. By the way, I would be doing a strand test before dying my whole head. I would really appreciate if any of you could put in your input on which mix to use. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
CCartwrightJones
admin
Re: From medium mousy brown hair to medium auburn hair
We can't really help you with henna from other places, because we have no idea what they're actually selling.  If we said anything about it, one way or other, we can be the target of their ire.  You'll need to ask for help from the place where you got your henna.

We'll give you mondo support on things from Mehandi.com because we actually have all the information from independent laboratory testing every shipment. 

It's like asking, "What recipe should I use to make biscuits with this white powder I got at the store?"  We dunno what white powder you got.
salix
Re: Advice For Going From Light-Medium Mousy Brown Hair To ...
Thanks for the reply Catherine. I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear, but I did not buy the henna, indigo, or amla yet and I am wondering about what mix would be right for me using your Rajasthani Twilight, Amla, and/or Indigo.
ACWN

I would strand test straight Twilight and a mix of 2:1 henna:indigo (so 100g henna would get 50g indigo), just enough to add more brown tones to the results. Amla would remove those reddish tones that I see in the color you're after, I think, but you can also do the same 2:1 mix with amla mixed into the henna portion. I would shoot for maybe 4 hours on all of them.

Label each strand test so you can keep them straight. Give them a week to oxidize before you judge.

My natural color is somewhat similar to yours (mine is a lot more ashy) and I get results fairly close to what you want, though its a lot more of an auburn with mahogany tones indoors and a lot of copper outside under the sun than the brownish red that you're after. BUT! Just so you can see...

Natural color - [link]

Results - indoor, under flash [link] ; inside without flash [link] focus on the color at my roots though! ; outside [link] [link]

The second picture of my outside results was taken at the same time as the first, just at a different angle and the sun hit it differently.

That's with one of the weaker hennas mehandi.com sells, and I don't leave it on more than 2 hours, which I think accounts for the more copper tones I get... but with a stronger henna for longer time, you might get more of what you're after and you might like the results from just henna! You never know.

belovedhlin
From looking at the two pictures you posted, I would recommend trying strand tests on straight Twilight (mixed with maybe cranberry juice) and try the twilight mixed with Amla.  From the color of your hair, I think indigo might darken it a bit much for your liking.  If it's too bright you could use an indigo gloss to darken it down a little.