Beard Dying Techniques

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
BrownBeard
Beard Dying Techniques

I have a short beard and unfortunately it is naturally mostly gray/white at this point in my life, more so than the hair on my head. Don't get me wrong, I have some gray at the temples, but my hair otherwise is a dark brown (almost black). So I tried JFM. After a few months I broke out in a terrible rash, etc. So I looked to other options.

I am currently using WolfsHead Beardye with fairly good results:

http://www.wolfsheadbeardye.com/Products.html

However, the best it appears to do is produce reddish-auburn color at the roots. Though this looks more natural then JFM, I would prefer it were more brown/darker.

I just purchased some Indigo along with some CMC from your shop and am hoping to get better results using the two products together.

Any advise/instruction you can provide for this process would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

seasiren2K13
Re: Beard Dying Techniques
I cannot say how Mehandi's indigo will work with this product, as I am not familiar with it. I do however know that you can get great gray/white coverage using Mehandi's henna and indigo. The proportions for achieving dark brown would be 1/4 henna to 3/4 indigo for a dark brown/soft black. You can view this link for beards! :)
http://www.mehandi.com/shop/beard/index.html
BrownBeard
Thanks. When you state 1/4 henna 3/4 indigo, what are the henna and indigo divided by in both instances? And do I then combine the 2?

BrownBeard
Are you simply saying 25% Henna mixed with 75% Indigo or 1 part Henna to 3 parts Indigo?
seasiren2K13
25% henna and 75% indigo (1 part henna, 3 parts indigo) will work for a dark brown color. If you want closer to soft black I would recommend 1 part henna to 4 parts indigo.
seasiren2K13
And you will need to dye release your henna for 8-12 hours beforehand with an acidic liquid, then in a separate bowl when you are getting ready to apply the product, mix the indigo with water, then combine both mixtures before applying to your beard.
BrownBeard
Thanks. In this case, since I am starting with the WolfsHead product, I will initially simply mix the Indigo with that to see if it works. I realize this is an experimentation at this point.

As I mentioned, the WolfsHead product is already a liquid mixture containing mostly Henna.

I was thinking of applying it first, rinse off excess, and then follow up with a Indigo/WolfsHead mixture and leave on for 1.5 - 3 hrs.
seasiren2K13
You can experiment as much as you want! lol However, I cannot offer any advise on the use of that product though :)
BrownBeard
I understand this is all on me.

The ingredients in WolfsHead Beardye are:

All colors contain isopropyl alcohol, henna extract, carbomer, and trace amounts of fragrance, achilliea millefolium, chamomile, mallow, amla, guarana, honey, hazlenut, carrot, acai, jua, aloe vera, acerola, and Brazil nut

I am no Chemist, so how might this differ/compare to a Henna mixture?
seasiren2K13
All of Mehandi's Henna, Indigo, Cassia and Amla are pure plant powders with nothing else added. They are also lab tested for purity to ensure their customers know what they are getting because many have chemical sensitivities. So unless one is allergic to these specific plants (which is rare, but can happen) the customers can be 100% sure they are safe to use. Many compound henna products still contain PPD which more and more people are becoming seriously allergic to, so Mehandi caters to those who need to be 100% sure of what they are getting.

That being said, they have come up with formula's that can give pretty consistent results. On this forum we cannot comment on or give advice for another companies products for legal purposes. But as I said before, you can feel free to experiment all you want :) If you would like to learn more about henna you can download Mehandi's free e-book!
http://www.mehandi.com/shop/hennahairbook/index.html
HennaGal
admin
My husband uses Mehandi's henna and indigo to color his white and copper beard dark brown.  He uses 1 part henna 2 parts indigo applied for about 1.5 to 2 hours. It's worked fabulous for him!
BrownBeard
Sounds great. How long does it last? Will it wash out easily? Thanks.
ACWN

Plant dyes, when mixed and applied properly, are literally permanent. Some people do have some issues with getting indigo to stick properly, but this isn't too common and we can often troubleshoot them.

One thing I would suggest is that if you do a mix with a greater indigo portion (3 to 1), I would do a two step hennigo. That is, straight henna for a few hours followed by the indigo heavy hennigo mix for a few hours. The reason why is that here on the forum we have found that in a lot of cases, people have had a harder time getting indigo to stick when its the larger portion of a mix. Indigo needs henna to bind, and there just isn't enough in a 3:1 indigo:henna mix. You will still end up with a very dark brown/soft black, but it should be less likely to fade on you.

You may also want to try applying it on dry hair vs towel dried. Some folks have reported better success getting it to last when applied on dry hair for a longer period of time (4 - 6 hours). You will also want to cover it as plant dyes do not do their thing if they dry out. And if you can figure out the means to do so, you will want to cover it with something to keep it warm.

Since you have the CMC powder, it should be fairly easy to wash them out with a boat load of cheap conditioner, but you will want to try and avoid shampoo or any harsh soaps for 48 hours as this can pull out the indigo dye.

Also, I'm not sure how you would accomplish it with a beard (keep trimming, I guess?), but if you don't want a deep black, you'd want to do only your roots as they come in. If you do the same mix every time, it will go black. If you're okay with that, you can forgo henna in the second step and do a step of henna for several hours and then straight indigo (on dry hair) for 1 - 2 hours, rather than 5 or so.

BrownBeard
Sounds great. Thanks for the advise. I can't wait to get the indigo to try it out. I appreciate all the help.
ACWN
Keep in mind everything I said applies to pure plant dyes, not to the brand you're using for henna. Chances of it being permanent are slim and there's no telling if the indigo will hold.
BrownBeard
Right. I am my own Guinea Pig here. Once I receive the Indigo, I will keep you all posted as to the results. Thanks again.
BrownBeard
I received the Indigo and CMC yesterday and immediately began the process.

1) I went ahead and applied the WolfsHead henna BearDye to my beard, covered it with plastic and wrapped in a warm knit scarf. I left it on for approximately 2 hrs.

2) I rinsed it with cool water and dried.

3) I mixed the Indigo with the CMC as instructed. And then mixed up approximately 2 teaspoons of the Indigo mixture with water, into a paste.

4) I mixed approximately 2 teaspoons of Indigo to 1 teaspoon of the WolfsHead henna BearDye. I applied the mixture heavily to my beard so all the hairs were covered. I wrapped in plastic and the scarf as before. I left it on for approximately 2 - 2.5 hrs.

5) I rinsed off the mixture. The final results were better than the ones I got while only using the WolfsHead henna mixture. Instead of the lighter (roots) area being an auburn color, they are now a darker gray color.

Assuming the WolfsHead henna BearDye is simply a similar or same product that you get by making your own henna mixture, (henna that has already been dye released and mixed with water, etc.) what might I do differently to get a more full and complete dark brown instead of a dark gray color?
ACWN

We cant make that assumption because we know nothing about the brand (nor could we even really voice any assumptions due to legal issues), and frankly, its NOT the same as mixing it yourself because there is all that other stuff in it (most of which, as far as I can tell, do zero for color.. seems all more for conditioning) and its also a liquid from what I understand from your other posts. When you mix pure henna yourself, all that's going into it is the henna powder and whatever acid you use to release the dye. It also comes out like mud, like the indigo.

The only thing I can suggest, besides contacting Wolfshead directly for help, is to purchase pure henna powder like Raj. Twilight and mix it according to the directions that come with it. You'd also want to leave each step on 4 - 6 hours, rather than 2.

BrownBeard
Thank you. Actually, I applied a second application today, but only performed the henna mixed with indigo mixture, (I think you call hendigo) covered and left on for approx. 3 hrs. It came out better.

I still want to experiment with this other product as I have a bit left.

I only wanted to assume the mixture in this other product was similar/same as henna mixture in an attempt to rule out any other steps that I may have overlooked or performed incorrectly.

Unfortunately, there are quite a few steps and lots of opinions and suggestions and I am trying to consolidate all of the information.

Your suggestion of leaving the mixture on my face for as much as 4 hours or more may be one thing else to try differently.

Incidentally, how does someone stand to have this product, plastic wrap and additional warming cover for 4-6 hours at a time? I find after a while it gets noticeably uncomfortable and sweaty.
ACWN

I don't think we can make that assumption because its a premixed henna product and there is so much different from a pure plant dye that you mix yourself with an acidic liquid. However, the steps you mentioned that you followed are the norm for how we recommend things here.

That is the unfortunate side of plant dyes, that they do take so long to do their thing and that they can be such a mess. But they make it worth it in that they don't fade when done right. And you're lucky in that you only have a little bit of a beard! Us ladies often have triple that and the pastes get SO heavy when we do full heads. Best methods are to distract yourself by watching a movie or trying to sleep with it on. If you can manage to sleep with it on, you can do the henna step one night and the hennigo step the following.

BrownBeard
It Worked! Now, just to see how long it lasts between tough-ups, etc. With JFM, I was touching up every 2-3 days...
BrownBeard
I have switched and now I've been using the pure hanna product along with the indigo for some time now and am fairly pleased with the results. I have found that for best results, I need to first apply the henna to the beard for 2-3 hours, covered as directed and then follow up with a henna and indigo mix (mostly indigo to match my darker hair).

The initial treatment of the pure henna leaves the white roots a bright orange, almost day-glow in color. It really doesn't matter as I know I will be later applying a follow-up treatment of the indigo-henna mixture.

I then follow up with the indoigo-henna and leave that on for at least 3 or more hours. This leaved my beard a dark brownish-black color, close to the hair color on my head.

The time for the procedure, especially for a man (please no sexist comments) is quite an investment. That is really the most inconvenient aspect of the entire procedure. I typically find myself trying to plan around it. Unfortunately, facial hair tends to grow more rapidly, so the procedure needs to be done at least 2 times a week to keep up with the roots. 

I made an initial batch of henna and store in the freezer. For the dye-release I used lemon juice with water mixture.

I have read recently that lemon juice should not be used as it is harsh on hair. Assuming that is true, what do you recommend one use for the dye-release?
Eddy
I've been using henna and indigo for a year now with great results. I also use it in my stache and goatee. Henna Hut makes a one hour hair and beard dye. It's already premixed so you just add water and there's no need to cover it. It takes a hour but I've left it on for a couple hours and the color is great. I touch it up once a week and very natural. I've also used Mehandi henna and mixed in indigo. It also works well but takes longer because Mehandi is all henna and Henna Hut has other plant dyes in it. 
BrownBeard
Thanks Eddy. I may just have to try that One Hour Dye. I did take a quick review of the site you mentioned. I have to say I was less than impressed with the beard dye video. It appeared as though it took the guy almost more than a day to achieve the full color effect. By that time, I would need to re-apply. Also, I did not see the specific product you mentioned. The products I am currently using are the Rajasthani Twilight Henna from Ancient Sunrise and the Sudina Indigo mixed with CMC Powder.