Shedding Badly

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cooki
Shedding Badly
After a year of loving my hendigo and amla routine, my hair is now shedding like mad.  It has grown to over shoulder length.  It was beautiful!  My is fine and curly.   I'm beginning to look like I'm in a cheap movie with the bad hair. 

I was routinely doing a weekly overnight hydrating conditioning with aloe vera juice and oils.  Three times weekly co-washing.  Daily spraying loose hair or twists with water and oils to hydrate my fine hair.

And now, each time I wash I'm left with a hand full of hair.  I'm afraid to henna because it's so tangled afterwards and I lose so much hair trying to untangle it.  Each time I touch my hair,  I can take away a couple of strands.

Help!!!
belovedhlin
Re: Shedding Badly
If you are truly concerned, I suggest calling your doctor. 

However, a certain amount of shedding is perfectly normal.  Especially once your hair reaches shoulder length it really does appear that there is more shedding when it's really just that there is more hair to shed. 

I would stop doing the co-wash for a while as a lot of conditioners aren't terribly good for the scalp.  There are dozens of reasons for hair loss, and cosmetic treatments are only one of them.  Stress, changes in environment, and lots of other things can cause it. 
HennaGal
admin
May i ask what liquids you use in the hendigo mix?
Cooki
In the henna, 12 hour mix:  2:1 henna and amla and filtered water
In the indigo, when I'm ready to use:  2:1 indigo to henna mix, 1 Tbsp sea salt, again filtered water

Leave this mix on for 7 hours.  Rinse.  Shampoo in several days, stubborn gray hair,  and then deep conditioner

This has been my routine for about a year.

Cooki
HennaGal
admin
Are you hennaing your entire head each time? Too much henna can cause buildup on the hair making its texture less than desirable. You could possibly be using too many alkaline products. You might try Mehandi's rainwash or something similar to balance that out. (if that's the case.)
Cooki
I only do the roots.  Of course, there will be minimal overlapping but not to the ends.