Need color theory refresher!

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
glow worm
Need color theory refresher!
Hi, i've been reading re: posts of different sourced henna (if that is the correct terminology.) What i mean is yemeni/jamalia/rajasthani, etc.... all BAQ. Here's my question: since lawsonia consists of orange/red dye molecule, why does the orange/red eventually morph into "burgundy" "cherry cola" and other purplish tints eventually after numerous applications? Is such an optical delusion/illusion? Even when looking at some stains on the skin, there appears to be more of a mahogany-ish result rather than actual orange with some types of 100% BAQ. Does anyone know what TDL 100% BAQ henna results in as far as initial stain, if not labeled with yemeni/jamalia/rajasthani, etc? Is there a base line % of dye content, perhaps at least 1.4%? Thanks for your patience in reading, and maybe if i'm lucky~ explaining!
ACWN
Re: Need color theory refresher!

I'm not sure on this, but I think it has something to do with how henna's color builds in layers, but how the orange turns purple.. I dunno. Its not an optical illusion, it really does go that color. Some hennas are naturally more cool toned than others too.

Not sure what you mean by "TDL".

Keep in mind that where the henna comes from does not automatically mean its going to have a specific dye content automatically. The henna Lady C used to get from Yemen when she still could (before all the issues over there) in the past was a very strong dye content - usually one of the highest ones, and then one year it was one of the weakest (and was dubbed Yemen Light). Dye content comes from a range of factors beyond where the henna is grown, including soil conditions and weather. However, in the end.. henna is henna. Its like comparing regular lemons. One might be grown in Florida, the other in California... but in the end they're still lemons!

There is no real baseline dye content, least that I know of... it can be any where from 0.1% to over 3%. Unless the henna is lab tested, you cant know the actual content but you can test how strong the dye is on your skin and hair.

glow worm
Re: Need color theory refresher!
Thank-you ACWN, O' and what i meant by TDL was Tap Dancing Lizard!