mixing henna and lemon juice

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
lisakay555
mixing henna and lemon juice
Will using lemon juice that contains preservatives affect the dye? Is it better to use pure fresh lemon juice? I was planning to add the lemon juice to water and mix to the proper consistency. Thanks for your help!
ACWN
Re: mixing henna and lemon juice
Most people use bottled lemon juice with no issues. ;)
lisakay555
Ok, thank you. Also, if I choose ACV, does it matter what type I use?
HIGHLANDERGIRL61
I recommend Braggs raw apple cider Vinegar, Or any apple cider Vinegar will do.
HIGHLANDERGIRL61
I have always used Braggs Raw Apple Cider Vinegar, It works really excellent, Every hair is covered with color on my hair, and I get a lot of compliments!!!!!!
lisakay555
Ok, good to know. I was going to use Bragg's which I usually have on hand but I am out right now. I do have regular store bought apple cider vinegar and store bought lemon juice - now which to use.......hmmm
seasiren2K13
The lemon juice is typically pretty drying, so unless your hair is on the oily side I wouldn't recommend it. Apple Cider Vinegar is my favorite also :)
ACWN
I second that lemon juice can be very drying! You can also dilute it though and it wont be as harsh.
FreeSprit74
Third! Every time I henna, the back of my head is always a little itchy for the first day or so afterward.
lisakay555
I used the ACV and it turned out great. The ACV henna mix made my head itch like crazy after about 4 hours. Does that mean I should try something even less harsh than ACV?
ACWN
Probably... Apple juice might work great for you, actually. Its still plenty acidic for a good dye release and strong color (least from the reports we get here on the forum), but its very gentle on the hair and scalp.
lisakay555
Thank you for the feedback! I will try the apple juice next time.
ACWN

Np! And if you find that its not quite acidic enough for you, you can add a half to full tablespoon of lemon juice per cup apple to bring the acidity up slightly.

lisakay555
What exactly is the purpose of the higher acid content? Is it for better dye release or does it help the stain appear darker/ not fade over time?
ACWN

The more acidic a mix, the longer it takes to dye release and the longer the dye will remain active at room temp. This means it has a longer time to bind properly to the hair.

A stronger acidic mix will be less day-glow orange before oxidation (though it still will be orange), and it does seem to gradually get darker over time where as a lesser acidic mix doesn't. At least that was what was reported some time ago by a past admin from her experiments.

Acid also helps the dye penetrate dye resistant hair.

A (cold) water-only mix can be pretty permanent, but its not able to stay active as long and the color may not be as rich as with an acid. Hot or boiling water based mixes are often prone to fading.