Becoming Moonlight

1 post / 0 new
CCartwrightJones
admin
Becoming Moonlight
In 2005, at the Las Vegas Henna conference, I drew a pattern in medical adhesive on Paul Hernandez's back, and when the adhesive firmed up, I dusted it over it with gold gilding powder. It was a full back dragon and looked amazing.  I repeated the technique in the 'henna page how to' section in 2005, and people have been testing and checking out using medical adhesive for body art.  Pros-Aide non-latex liquid adhesive turned out to be a fairly useful product for the purpose.  It was pretty runny, and unless you had a really fast hand, it worked better with stencils than cones. 

Pros-Aide liquid adhesive is formulated for attaching prosthetic devices to skin, such as attaching colostomy bags to surgically created waste disposal units.  It is meant to withstand water and last for several days.  It performs brilliantly in that crucial and demanding job.  However, it dries transparent, and that's tough for artists to work with.  Artists need to see what they're doing, or they're limited to stencils.  I like working Pros-Aide liquid with a brush.  Still, I have to work fast, or try to figure out where the lines went. It's great with gilding powder and glitter.

Pros-Aide Cream adhesive is formulated for filling gaps between prosthetic devices and skin, because leaks are no damn fun at all.  It does a great job at that.  You can do an OK job applying ProsAide Cream with a cone, though you still have to put up with it going transparent.  It helps to have a 'fast hand' because it's kinda runny. 

Just before the 2012 work week for the Henna Page Calendar, Lady Tetsu  said that she'd come up with a way of altering Pros-Aide so it was thicker and not entirely transparent.  She brought it to the work week and all the artists tested her several different formulas and absolutely fell in love with them!  The new potential for Lady Tetsu's medium was fantastic, and you can see it in the Henna Page 2013 and 2014 calendars.  It was an ideal medium for all the things henna can't do: be shiny, be infinitely colorful, be sparkly, work perfectly on backs, shoulders, and all sorts of other areas where henna is limited, and is waterproof for all the gigs henna artists show up to that turn out to be pool parties. 

Then, we tried to scale up what Lady Tetsu had been making on her kitchen table top.  We had a number of crashes until Dianna Savick, TDL operations manager called up the head chemist at ProsAide, and showed him photographs from the calendar.  She asked him if he could formulate a variant that would stay white when dry, so artists can see what they're doing on a complex project that takes more than a few minutes, is a thickness that is easy for artists to work with, and stays raised up so people can add a third dimension to their body art work.  He was very excited about the artistic potential of his invention, and he promptly produced the first bucket of Becoming Moonlight Gilding Paste.  Many more have followed.

So, why did we trademark it?  I think artists should be compensated for their good ideas, and their work respected and not ripped off.  Every artist in the project got financially compensated and acknowledged for their work on the new gilding paste, proportional to their involvement.  Lady Tetsu, Penni AlZayer, Deb Brommer, Wendy Rover, Robin Jaeckel, Paul Hernandez, Beth Kitchen, and I all worked on this.  Their good ideas should be acknowledged and protected.  So .. .yes, Becoming Moonlight gilding paste trademarked and is only available from mehandi.com.

Why is there a whole line of Becoming Moonlight products?  Because Becoming Moonlight gilding paste is a finicky polymer and it works well with some things and not with others.  I assembled an integrated line of glitter, gilding powder, gems, and more that all work together without collapsing into a gooey heap.  I thought artists would do well to have available a whole line of products that work well together that make their efforts look gooooooooooooooood rather than creating sad clients.

Why is all this trademarked?  Wouldn't you do the same?