help with roots for a newbie

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
lisakay555
help with roots for a newbie
Hello, I just did twilight henna on my hair for the first time and I really like how it looks. I have naturally dark brown hair and some gray coming through in my roots. On the length of my hair I had some chemical color (dark brown with red) and about an inch or two of new growth. I love how the twilight highlights the grays with the red, but it is much lighter than the rest of my hair. Do you think that I could redo the roots with the twilight to help it blend a little more and become darker? Should I use a little indigo? I like the red, but I am just trying to figure out how to get the roots to blend while the old chemical color grows out. Thanks for your help!
cosmetologist.lady
Re: help with roots for a newbie
A second application should definitely help blend the color more. Multiple applications of henna will result in a deeper color. However, in order to achieve a brown color that matches your previously dyed hair, you will need to use indigo. You could start off by adding only a small amount of indigo to the henna just to darken it a bit since you do like the red.
lisakay555
Ok, when I reapply the Henna to my roots, how long should I wait in between applications? I will order some indigo and try that next. When I do the henna/indigo, should I apply it all over or just to the roots?
seasiren2K13
Waiting 4 days to allow the hair to fully oxidize would be a good idea to see what the final color will be. However, you can reapply as soon as you'd like to get a deeper color. If you are trying to get your roots (I think you said they are lighter than your length) darker then only apply the henna/indigo mix to the roots as it will darken all of the hair you apply it to.
lisakay555
OK, thank you for your help!
Clouds_Descending
Also, how long are you leaving your henna on for? To get a really deep, rich color you want to leave it on for a long time. I do at least 5 hours, but have slept in my henna and left it on for up to 8 before. Since it's a completely natural product (as long as you are using pure, lab tested henna), there is no harm in leaving it on your hair longer.
lisakay555
I left it on for 4 1/2 hours and then it started itching like crazy, so I had to rinse it out. I had intended to leave it on at least 6 hours. I guess I need to try a different mix with the henna. I used pasteurized ACV this time and I'm thinking it must have been a little too acidic for my scalp??? I will try to sleep in it next time, but not sure exactly what to mix with..... Any suggestions? I am going for the deepest red/auburn that I can achieve.
Clouds_Descending
hmm... itchies can mean a few things, but in my experience it usually means the paste is drying out. Make sure your hair is COMPLETELY covered with plastic wrap. I use medical tape to keep it secure and then a knit winter hat pulled on top to keep in warmth and moisture. For a deep auburn, I would suggest the Twilight henna mixed with cranberry juice. The customer service team for Mehandi.com did some tests a few weeks ago and found amazing results with cranberry juice!
seasiren2K13
Cranberry juice will probably be a good option for you. It smells good and might be less itchy. When we've tested it, it seems to slightly bring out the red more.