Red-fearing newbie

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
smuirhead
Red-fearing newbie
Hi,
I am considering Hennaing my hair for the first time because it's the only dye that is not tested on animals. (If this is wrong pls let me know)
I've been doing lots of research but am still scared of the permanency should I get the shade wrong.
I really, really don't want red hair, I want to try a hendigo mix with amla, does anyone know from experience if it's possible to get a cool dark brown shade and if so what mix did you use? My hair at the moment is mousy brown top half, tarnished red/brown bottom half from previous chemical dyeing three years ago.
Also my hair is very thick and down to my bum, how much will I need all together?
Also, I've been reading alot that with hendigo mixes the indigo fades and leaves you with red, does this always happen? I was hoping, considering the effort is going to be more than I would ever normally go to on my hair, would stay as it is for a really long time without drastic fading to bright red, which is totally unflattering on me.
Lastly, I'm really confused about what henna to buy, on the mehandi products page there's bijillions all with different names and I don't know what is just a normal BAQ henna?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me

Cheers
ACWN
Re: Red-fearing newbie

This'll be a little bit of a book. Sorry!

Yes, its possible to get a cool dark brown shade with amla and hennigo. The basic mix would most likely be a 2:1 indigo:henna ratio with amla in the henna portion. For how long to leave it on, you might want to post links of pictures of your hair.. or at least the colors. Mousy brown and tarnished red/brown doesn't help, unfortunately! What you mean may not be what I or the others end up picturing, y'know?

My guess is that you're probably going to want about a total of 600g of powder - 400 of indigo and 200 of henna. Maybe 100 more of each. Its better to have too much and not need it all then to not have enough. What you'd want to do is mix all of henna, but mix 200g and then mix the last 100g by itself - that way you can put that last bit in the fridge and keep it ready, just in case. For the indigo, you'd mix the 400g only once the henna is ready and keep that last 100g as a powder since indigo wont keep for more than a few hours.

Then, if you do need it.. all you have to do is mix the indigo, grab the ready to go henna, mix in only half of the henna (to keep with the 2:1 ratio.... I think? I hope I didn't make that complicated... Sorry, its late and I'm sick and my brain is fried - if I'm wrong, someone please correct me) and apply. If you don't, you aren't wasting any of it. If you don't need the extra, you can put the henna portion in a ziplock and freeze it for your roots.

Yes, indigo CAN fade but its not always the norm and its often best to expect it to be as permanent as the henna. If it does happen, its usually an easy fix.. even with all the hair that you have. :) And even if it fades, it shouldn't be a bright red. It would most likely be an auburn shade. Plus, if it does fade.. usually once you fix it, it sticks for good. You'll probably want to avoid shampoo for 48 hours to help reduce the chance of indigo fading and to get it all out, I would recommend starting with a mermaid soak - fill the tub with enough hair to completely cover your hair (but let you breathe comfortably), then swish your hair. Drain and repeat. It'll help break up the paste without a lot of a hassle.

The best part is that when we say permanent, we mean its going to be there until you cut it off.

All the henna that mehandi.com sells is "normal BAQ" henna. The main difference is how strong it is. Since you have such long hair, you might want one with a finer sift like Monsoon or Henna for African Hair. I would also recommend the CMC powder for the indigo (to make it creamy).

Now, before you buy aaaaall that product, get yourself a bunch of samples and start strand testing the heck out of it!Hair from your hair brush works fine. This will tell you what mix you need and how long to leave it on. You'll want to test probably a 50/50 mix and a 2:1 mix, then different times... 2 hours, 4 hours and probably 6 hours. You'll want to label each ziplock bag with the mix and time so you can keep them straight. Then once they oxidize, you can judge from there. Plus, it makes you that much more confident about it. Its practice on mixing.

And you are REALLY going to want to get some help to apply!

smuirhead
Definitely no apologies necessary for the length, all the info I can get the better! Thankyou so much for your help.
Please feel free to rest and get better before you read or reply. Unfortunately I have many more questions.

Actually your ratio explanations made perfect sense but I got lost at the part where we add the henna to the indigo. If the amounts are already 2:1 indigo:henna (400g:200g) then shouldn't I still add all of the henna? Coz if I only add 100g won't that make the ratio 2:0.5 or something?
And what about amla? Don't worry about adding it or..... I was hoping it may control some of the redness of the henna and maybe prevent complete loosening of my curls. If its better to add it would I just go 150g henna and 50g amla or stick with 200g henna and like 65ish g of amla?

If I have extra and I freeze it how long will it last and how do I prepare it for use from frozen?
With the mermaid soak, will it stain my bath?

With my samples is it just the two days that it takes to oxidize?
What are your thoughts on adding stuff other than water to the mix to minimize drying out, like olive oil?
Your totally right about the application team I'm probably going to need, is there like a Henna Yellow Pages I don't know about that could magically tell me of a henna hairdresser in my area? Coz that would be super :)

As soon as I get a camera I will totally post a picture, if not soon, then I'll post a before and after.

Thanks again, and get well!

ACWN

Okay, if you do a 2:1 ratio and need 600 total grams, you'd mix 200g henna into 400g indigo. I'd recommend an extra 100g of each, just in case. But a 2:1 ratio of an extra 100g would be 50g henna to 100g indigo. Unless you want to do 200 extra grams of indigo and then mix all 100g henna into that.

All you're doing is doubling the amount of indigo to henna, so whatever amount you have in henna, you want twice that in indigo. Make a lil more sense?

For the amla, you would mix the amla powder into the henna powder, then add distilled water. Amla itself is fairly acidic so it would act as your acid for the henna. You want 25g amla per 100g henna, so for 200g henna, you'd want 50g of amla.

Frozen henna will last about 6 months in the freezer, so long as it stays frozen. You just thaw it in the fridge or at room temp and apply as normal. Indigo will not survive freezing, this is why you keep any extra in powder form.

It SHOULDNT stain your tub, but it could, depending on what its made of... if you're worried, you can also buy a really big plastic tub, fill that with fairly warm water and dunk your head in that.

No, it takes a week to oxidize to its final color.

Do not add anything else to your mix, indigo is very picky. Wait until 48 hours afterwards before you try anything, and test any moisture treatments on some samples before hand so you can kinda gauge what might strip the color.

And thank you! I'm trying, lol