Head (and hands) of clay?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
glow worm
Head (and hands) of clay?
Okay, so when perusing some sites having info: natural plant products used to dye hair, i found some ad-vocation of employing rhubarb root, as a rinse alone or w/teas, lemon or a paste w/cassia OR kaolin. Kaolin is another name for clay (had to look it up~ tho' i remember Kaopectate as a child and have mildly chalky reminiscences....apparently the original kaolinite was replaced first w/attapulgite, and nowadays the formula is sans clay w/bismuth subsalicylate here in the states. Give me the clay, please.) Anyway, to the point... does anyone know, has anyone tried clay masks (say calcium carbonate or others) with their: 1) henna paste 2) rhubarb paste 3) anything else? I ask because it was purported that rhubarb root powder mixed w/ an acid, say lemon juice/orange juice, etc, resulted in golden/yellow tones... whilst rhubarb root mixed with kaolin (alkaline?) gave deeper tones, brown.... Thanks! glow worm
glow worm
Re: Head (and hands) of clay?
OOPS! I meant to write calcium bentonite for the clay... not calcium carbonate. Sorry, glow worm.
HennaGal
admin
Clay mixed with henna may result in a weak stain. I've not tried the rhubarb yet! The clay has a similar effect on the hair so i find it counter productive to use both, on my hair.
glow worm
Did a rhubarb mix today w/cassia obovata... sans clay! Think it does impart some yellow/golden tones~ lightening the auburnish/red a little. I was reluctant to mix the rhubarb powder with any lemon juice right now, due to my recent ascorbic acid episode (!) , so i just mixed rhubarb powder and cassia w/water and a splash of acv. Good tidings with all experiments!
HennaGal
admin
Neat! i will have to give that a try =)
glow worm
Hi HennaGal, you may have already seen this link, still i will post just in case you haven't and might find it of interest: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=11407 I found the color achieved by jojo to be very beautiful. I didn't use the lemon juice, and so my result was not the same.... Still, i do think there was some "goldening" for me as well... And, when i'm again brave (and/or possibly foolish,) i may add the cup or so of lemon juice! Hopefully my hairs don't mind. Have fun...!