Newbie with ?'s and old henna

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
galaxygal
Newbie with ?'s and old henna
Hi, I ordered my Henna 2 years ago. I chickened out and never used it. Never even opened the shipping box. It's been tucked away this whole time and sealed up (room temp). I've only had henna in my hair once and it was done by a friend. I liked it but was chicken to do it on my own. But I'm wanting to dive into it now. So... what is the worst thing that can happen using old henna? I'd like to try to at least use it. It is the Rajasthani Twilight. A couple other questions. When my friend did my hair she mixed it with lemon juice. It killed my scalp and hair. So I did some research and I'm thinking chamomile tea or apple cider vinegar this round. Do either of these alter the final results? Like more orange versus red tones? What does adding paprika do? Do I have to do an overnight release or is there a way to speed it up so I can do it today? I'm thinking of leaving it in my hair for 6 hours at least. Does that sound right? Also, it turns out I have some pretty, natural waves (after years of taking better care of my hair). I can't remember how much henna relaxed my curls last time or if it did. Would Amla (is that right?) increase those waves. Can that be applied after doing the henna? Will it change the color if done after the henna oxidizes. (is that the right term?) Can I add coconut oil to my mixture for a conditioning effect? My natural hair color is dark brown. It was last died about 5 months ago and is a slightly lighter dark red/brown with blonde highlights. Not sure if you need that info or not. Thanks so much for helping me out! ~Heather
ACWN
Re: Newbie with ?'s and old henna

If it was kept totally sealed, it should be okay. Open a bag, mix it with a little water into a paste, let it for a little bit (about half an hour, I think) and then smear it on the palm of your hand. Let it sit about 5 minutes (if you can!), then wash it off. If you get an orange stain, its still good. :)

Lesser acidic mixes will typically start out more orange, but they will settle down into the same shade as a higher acidic mix. It also comes out as more of a true red with less rusty/brown tones.

Paprika does nothing, its a myth.

Do not attempt to speed up dye release, you'll speed up demise as well.

6 hours will give you a very deep color, if that's what you want.. then yes, 6 hours is fine!

Amla wont increase them, but it will preserve them when mixed in with the henna and should restore them to some degree if applied afterwards. Amla does not have a dye, so it should not effect the results. Some folks have reported a slightly ashy tone, but its typically super subtle (if at all noticeable) and fades after a lil while.

Do not add oil, wait till after.

galaxygal
Thanks so much for the help. I have a few more questions. What exactly is "deep" color. Is that darker, brighter, orangier, redder? I'm confusing myself on length of time to leave it on. I would love a brighter red color but wonder if I might end up with more orange. Should I leave on for less than 6 hours? What does adding tea tree oil do? If I don't want to go to the store can I use fresh squeezed orange juice and regular vinegar? If so, how much vinegar? Off to go rip open a pack and to a test with some water. Thanks again!! ~Heather
ACWN

Deeper is... deeper. Darker. More auburn than orange.

I would say between 4 - 6 hours would probably be fine time wise. Unfortunately with dark hair, you wont get brighter colors. Henna doesn't work that way. Depending on how dark your color actually is, you may not even get much of a visible color change in most normal lighting once it oxidizes.

I'm not sure what tea tree oil would do, and I wouldn't add it. It'd probably give you a headache with as pungent as it is.

Yes, you can use fresh LJ, but you'll need a boat load of lemons and I wouldn't recommend white vinegar - the henna will stink horribly.

galaxygal
Gotcha. Thanks!