Hair turns orange after washing for 2 weeks

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
mona
Hair turns orange after washing for 2 weeks
I like the color of my hair right after I've applied henna.  It's a nice auburn with red highlights but as I continue washing my hair (I use Rainbow Henna Shampoo) on a daily basis, the auburn washes out and my hair slowly turns bright orange.  Any suggestions how to keep the auburn with red highlights for longer than 2 weeks?

ACWN
Re: Hair turns orange after washing for 2 weeks

What henna are you using? How are you mixing it? How are you applying it?

mona
I'm using Rainbow Persian Medium Brown.
Mixing with Apple Cider Vinegar and let it sit overnight.
I'm not sure what you mean by how am I applying it.....I apply all over.  First time let it sit for 2 hours, last time 45 minutes.  Either way, hair turns orange after washing. 
ACWN

When I ask how are you applying it, I mean exactly that. What steps are you doing, start to finish? Are you covering your hair with plastic?

Unfortunately, we cant help much as the brand you are using is a premixed brand (off topic on this board). You'll want to contact the company for troubleshooting help. You also want to follow their specific instructions and not what you've read else where. Their instructions are best for their brand.

If you want to switch to a higher quality brand, Tap Dancing Lizard/mehandi.com (this forum's host site - another reason why we cant help) has fantastic plant dye products that are lab tested. No other brand sends their henna out to an independent lab.

CCartwrightJones
admin
The lawsone isn't binding to your keratin.  There's a few probable reasons for this ... insufficiently acidic mix, or mystery meat in the henna.
glow worm
As a question posed re: insufficient acidic mix resulting in lawsone not binding to keratin: I've seen instructions given by other sites wherein it is suggested not to add any acids (lemon, vinegar, etc.) And then when reading reviews by users of product, at least some of the time, customers comment upon "bleeding" of henna orange color onto clothes, pillowcases, and the like. Plus the added note that fading occurs. So, i dunno if that indicates that an acid of some form is a requirement always, sometimes, mostly or what? Just thought to share. Best, glow worm.
glow worm
Another aspect that might be of consequence: what is the current condition of your hair? I've read on some forums where a person might have employed a thousand and one different (possibly damaging) treatments to the hair including: bleaching, streaking, artificial coloring, color removal, etc. Amazingly, at times it seems that some hair simply doesn't hold onto henna including BAQ... maybe the hair shaft has been blown open so much that such affects even henna applications? I don't know really, just a consideration.
mona
I used Herbatint prior to Henna.  Have not bleached or used pharmacy store products in years.  What is BAQ?  Maybe I should try mixing with tea or coffee...?
glow worm
Hi mona, found this link to herbatint, there are plenty, so you might find a more preferable one to you: http://www.herbatint.co.uk/herbatint/using/herbatint-faq.php and here: http://www.swansonvitamins.com/herbatint-permanent-herbal-haircolour-gel... But, anyway PPD is listed as an ingredient (at least on the 1st link, which may be an unfavorable addition to the formula, depending upon your point of view.) Also with herbatint, there is a glycol developer containing hydrogen peroxide, which does i think open the hair shaft? (making it more porous?) I am not qualified really to have a knowledgeable opinion on any of this. There are many here on this forum much better informed to give you an accurate answer. BAQ henna is "Body Art Quality" and here's a link to Mehandi: http://www.mehandi.com/ Hope some of this is at least an incentive for you to do your own investigation...and find a pleasing outcome. Best, glow worm.
ACWN

BAQ is body art quality. It means henna that is meant for body art, its a better quality than henna specifically meant for hair. BAQ henna (which is what mehandi.com sells) is finely sifted and ground with a fair dye content - some are better than other.

Herbatint is no different than a chemical dye from a store. That's really all it is from my understanding of it.

CCartwrightJones
admin
I'm going to say something that would be considered fairly rude ... the people who say, "no acid" are people who have not spent 13 years of graduate study focusing on the art, science and history of henna, and they're not receiving their PhD in henna.  I have and I am.  A mildly acidic mix is necessary to bind the lawsone to your hair because it preserves the hydrogens on the corners of the lawsone molecule so it can bind to the keratin.  Yes, the immediate results of water mixes look fine.  The long term results of water mixes are unsatisfactory because the lawsone has not bound to the keratin and washes away or fades.  The democracy of the internet allows misinformation and poor information to spread as quickly as good scientific method.  Sorry you've gotten some poor information.  There's a lot of it out there.
glow worm
And as it has been said (somewhere at least,) "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" So, thank-you for the information re: acids binding the lawsone.... Spoke to customer service when placing an order, and was cued into the message that other acidic options (besides lemon,) do add some interest to color: for example ACV, apple or cranberry juice. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out, and the pillow cases and any other clothes which might otherwise have been bled onto, thank-you too!