How many grams of henna powder do I need?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Amy
How many grams of henna powder do I need?
I'd been wishy-washy about using henna, so I went with Lush Caca Brun because I figured it would be a less dramatic and possibly less permanent change. It simply darkened my hair a bit. I'm ready to take the high-content, red-red, henna plunge! My only question now is how much do I need. I ended up using the whole bar from Lush. My hair is layered, fine, wavy and almost down to my bra strap. Just about any hairdresser I've had comments on how much hair I have, and in all the Lush reviews I'd never seen where anyone used the whole bar. I'd rather mix too much than not enough. Help!! Also, I feel like my waves relaxed. Can I mix Amla with my henna without affecting the color too much or should I do it a while after?
HennaGal
admin
Re: How many grams of henna powder do I need?
Hello! It sounds like you'll need about 300g. Any leftovers can be frozen for next time. Amla tends to take a bit of the brassiness out of henna. If you add 25g amla per 100g henna, it will dye release your henna as well as retain some wave.
ACWN

You MIGHT want to err on the side of caution and get 400g, just in case! I know when I first started with henna, I always made mine way too thick and the 200g that was recommended to cover collar bone length hair barely covered my (at the time) chin length hair. My hair is bone straight, very fine but there is a lot of it. I always suggest at least 100g more than a person thinks they may need just from past experience.

Like HennaGal said, if you have any left.. you can freeze it for your roots later on.

Amy
Perfect! Thank you. Maybe I had mixed it too thick. Either way, I'd rather have too much (and freeze it as suggested) than not enough.
ACWN

Its suggested to mix it to stirred yogurt consistency post dye release (before hand, you mix it to lumpy mashed potato texture - its easier for some weird reason). I had issues with that all the time at the beginning.

Best way I can describe the consistency you want is to very slowly mix in enough of your liquid until the henna drizzles off your mixing utensil (spoon, whisk, whatever) in a smooth, long ribbon. If it slides off in little blobs, add just a bit more liquid. Hope that helps!