Will amla stop the dye release of Cassia or help tone down brassiness

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Catraven
Will amla stop the dye release of Cassia or help tone down brassiness
Hi all, I'm a first timer here, and need some help or clarifications concerning the use of amla with cassia. I'm a breast cancer survivor. My hair grew back curly/wavy and the color is mostly a very white blonde or white gray. Tired of the chemicals, I purchased cassia, chamomile flowers and amla from mehandi. My hair is almost waist length, and some of the longer hair has a brassy blonde tones. It mostly shows in photos. I will cut some of my length. I want to keep some of my curl/waves, but tone down brass. I want the blonde tone from the cassia, just no red or brass. Will mixing the amla into the cassia cause the cassia not to release dye? This is the formula I planned to use: 300 grams of Cassia, Warm chamomile tea made from unbleached flowers to make the paste, 9 tbsp total (3 per 100 gr), Mix well to pancake batter consistency and cover with Saran Wrap for 4 hours. Then do test on saved hair, If ok, apply as directed (Saran Wrap) and leave on for 4 hours. Rinse out and use Acure conditioner as a wash. What do you think? Any help is appreciated!
ACWN
Re: Will amla stop the dye release of Cassia or help tone ...

Cassia is like henna in that it actually likes acid, so amla is fine for it. Cassia's dye, however, is very weak and will only slightly enhance the yellow tones of your hair. I don't know if it will make the brassiness worse or better, but I do know that repeated use of cassia can cause brassy tones... so it MIGHT make your brassy tones worse.

You really only want 25g of amla per 100g cassia (going off the amount for henna), so you'd only want 75g of the 100g of amla. Divide the amla in half, then divide one half into half again. Combine one of the quarters with the full half. Add that to the cassia, THEN add your liquid.

Mix to a lumpy mashed potato consistency first, then once you get dye release (should be closer to 8 - 12 hours) mix smooth. The problem with cassia is that you cannot test for dye release like you can with henna, so you kinda have to guess.

If you want the most color possible, I would recommend leaving it on your head closer to 6 hours.

Catraven
Thank you so much for your time to help me. I left the amla in the mix, but reduced it as you suggested. Mixed as you suggested! I have it setting up right now. I have a patch test and hair test in progress. Thanks again! I'll post before and after pics :=)
HennaGal
admin
Cassia dye released with amla will actually produce an ash blonde! Brassy tones shouldn't be an issue. =)
ACWN
Good to know!
Catraven
Thank you so much for clearing up that issue. Every article I read indicated it toned down red or brass, except for one. Wiki has an article indicating that amla prevents cassia from releasing dye and, therefore, should never be mixed together. I have it mixed, and my home smells like chamomile tea...lol. I'm in the process of the skin and hair test. I'll post pics :=) Thanks again!