African American Hair -How to lighten

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
JazzyPink1908
African American Hair -How to lighten
I have a question. I have black 1b hair. I want an auburn color hair and not that maroon tent that Henna does to our hair. Can I lighten my hair with a box color like a honey blond and then maybe day later put Henna on it to get an Auburn? What will Cassia do to my black or 1b hair? If I use Cassia can I later still use Henna? I do have maybe 8-10% graying at the temples and a little in the middle crown. So I guess my main question is now to get a lighter color. I know Henna doesn't lighten but if the hair is lighter by coloring prior to Henna, will the Henna although coloring darker give me a lighter color than my natural black/1b?
ACWN
Re: African American Hair -How to lighten

Plant dyes of any kinda do not lighten, ao cassia will not show up on your hair and will not effect the henna if you apply cassia first then henna after. Cassia's effects are similar to henna as far as conditioning goes.

If you use 100% pure henna, you can lighten your hair. If you still have henna in it, it will not go actually blonde, it will start to show more red the lighter it gets. You can then henna over that to darken the color, but keep in mind that the lighter you go.. the more orange tones your hair will keep post oxidation. It wont be day-glow, OMG! orange, but it will still flare a sortve burnt orange. If you want to avoid that, I would recommend going for something in a brown shade rather than a blonde. You may still get orange tones, but it shouldn't be as drastic as it likely is to be on blonde hair.

The upkeep of first lightening your roots then applying the henna is a pain in the tail though, just for a heads up. Speaking from experience!

JazzyPink1908
ACWN, What then would you recommend? I want to try Henna but I don't want the maroon tint but I want to color it. Based on your last comment, what would you recommend if I, as a African American that want the benefits of Henna but not the maroon tint, but the Auburn cool?
ACWN
I would suggest strand testing mehandi.com's henna, probably Raj. Twilight. Its going to give you the most red on dark hair. If you don't like the results, then the middle part of my last post applies. I would recommend lightening your hair to a medium-light brown and then apply the henna over that. It will give you more visible auburn. You'd want to do your roots only from then on.
JazzyPink1908
Perfect now next question. Can I color lighter and Henna in the same day or how long should I wait to henna. Also how long does Henna last? Right my color on my gray is only lasting like 2 weeks before I am visaably seeing gray again. Can I condition from here on our wih Cassia or what do you recommend outside of the normal conditioners? Unusually I use home made butter based conditioners. Are you saying once I Henna I won't ever have to do the body of my hair, just the roots? So henna on the body won't fade? Your help is amazing!
ACWN

Though its sometimes recommended to wait 24 hours to let your hair rest up, you can lighten and apply henna on the same day, I've done it within hours of each other.

Henna, when mixed and applied correctly, is literally permanent. If your hair is overly damaged, henna may not hold on well or at all... but if you do not normally use chemical treatments on it and only lighten it some what (IE to medium brown instead of blonde), it should be fine. My ends haven't seen fresh henna in about 3 years now, give or take, and they're still as intensely colored as the day I did them originally.

You may use cassia if you want, or pretty much anything you normally do. However, you will want to wash your hair very well before you apply and avoid conditioner until after you rinse the henna out just so you don't have to worry about it inhibiting dye uptake. Once you rinse the paste out, you can condition any way you want.

JazzyPink1908
Ok, then this will mean when I have to color any new growth, I'll have to color with the medium brown and then color with the Henna? Is this correct?
ACWN
Yep. Every time.
JazzyPink1908
ok, well that's good to know so I'll remember what kind and color and brand to get. Now, as the hair grows, since Henna colors so well, do most people color less often? Does the hair ever just stop graying with Henna?
JazzyPink1908
I'm on your site now. On the Real People Dye Mix page. Are any of them African American that have a color other than the indigo/black? If so, who?
ACWN

Some people color all over all the time, some do just roots (like me), and some do just roots and then an occasional all over application. Some do it for color, some do it for the conditioning/strengthening.

Henna does not stop graying, it cant do that.

Yeah, there are a few non-indigo mixes, but the only one that I can think of off the top of my head that doesn't have straight black is a lady that applies henna alone. It only visibly changes her grays to a vivid garnet sortve red. Not sure how she achieves it, but... yeah.

JazzyPink1908
Thank you so much for your knowledge. I'm ordering some samples to test on a bag of hair I have and then see which one I really like. If I do the brown and Henna, could I ever go to the Henna and Indigo for a black?
ACWN
Course! Just keep in mind that if you do that, you cannot go back to auburn easily. Lightening indigo will cause it to turn  a blotchy, moldy green and its pretty well impossible to cover.
JazzyPink1908
Yuck! Ok, I'll hold on to the Aurburn for a while since I'm already black. I'm so excited to be trying this. Now I need to find a brown to use before the Henna.
ACWN
Definitely do lots of strand testing. Better to get the right starting color on hair from your hair brush than over damaging whats still growing!
JazzyPink1908
The site says our out of Twilight. Is that still the case?
ACWN
It says they're LOW on Twilight. How long is your hair (especially when its fully straight)? How thick is it? I know you said its "1b", but that doesn't mean anything to me.. sorry!
JazzyPink1908
I stand corrected, it does say "short on stock". I didn't mention anything about thickness or length because I'm still looking. I'm sorry to have bothered you ma'am. I won't bother you again.
ACWN
You aren't a bother at all! I asked about the length and thickness cause I need to know so I can give you a general idea of how much henna you'll eventually need.