Warm Black Hair Recipe - Am I Right?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
mowglijazz
Warm Black Hair Recipe - Am I Right?
Hi everyone! I will be helping out my girlfriend who has bra-strap length hair. She currently dies it black, but wants to switch to natural products. We were thinking of doing a onestep application since she wants dark dark brown with a hint of red. Would the following work? 400 g total of 75% indigo to 25% henna - henna mixed for 8-12 hours w acidic liquid for dye release - when henna is ready, indigo mixed with water and mixed in immediately into henna - applied to head and left for 4 hours or so? Any suggestions for the above, including the best shade of henna would be amazing! Thanks so much in advance
ACWN
Re: Warm Black Hair Recipe - Am I Right?

The problem is is that when you use that much indigo to that little henna, the indigo doesn't tend to bind very well. The best method would be a two step hennigo. Keep your hennigo idea the same, but add a prior step of just henna for 3 - 4 hours before hand so her hair has a good bed of henna for the indigo to grab onto.

If she doesn't have any gray to cover, any henna with a good dye content will do.

mowglijazz
Thank you! In that case, couldn't I just do one process full henna for 4 hours, then 1 process full indigo for 4 hours? Why do I read in some places that warm black can be achieved in one process - could I just do 50/50 henna indigo? Sorry for confusion, want to find the most time effective process! Many many thanks everyone :)
ACWN

If you do a two step of straight henna followed by straight indigo, you'll get black cat black. All it takes is an hour of straight indigo on straight henna to get black. You need the henna in the mix to soften the indigo so it doesn't go all the way black. Theoretically, you could do straight henna for several hours followed by indigo for a very brief amount of time, but it really doesn't take much for full indigo to turn hair black so it can sometimes be really tricky.

50/50 gives a medium brown on light hair.

mowglijazz
Great, thank you!
Clouds_Descending
The dark brunette kit offered by Mehandi.com is 1/3 henna to 2/3 indigo and give a very dark brunette. I'd start with that ratio- leave on for 4-6 hours and see what you think. If it's not dark enough, you can always do a second indigo application (within the first 24-48 hours) or an indigo gloss.