Wish me luck!

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
dianecd
Wish me luck!
I have been struggling with my hairdresser for 2 years now trying to achieve a dark auburn color on my hair. I have very white grays (about 50%). Years ago I used henna and now find out that I was not using pure henna. I have ordered some in a medium brown. My hope is that the henna will not make my white hairs too orange. If you have any suggestions for me please post them to me. I will be coloring it in the next few days. It is great that this forum is here for those of us 'newbies'. Thank you so much!
HennaGal
admin
Re: Wish me luck!
medium brunette on gray should give you a pretty decent auburn result. If you want it a little deeper add amla to your mix!
dianecd

Thanks for your suggestion. I am excited to try what I get and can adjust the color if it is too auburn. I appreciate any help and suggestions I get. I will post how my hair looks after I've gotten the product and tried it!.

P.S. I don't know what amla is but I will look it up!

HennaGal
admin
Amla is dried, powdered Indian Gooseberry. It's slightly acidic so it will dye release henna. It also helps to cool down brassy tones in henna/indigo mixes and henna alone. you can use amla as a face scrub too!
sarika
When you say 'pure henna', I believe you mean pure henna leaves dried and ground into a powder. This is the purest form. When you talk in terms of shades, there would have to be additives and dyes added to change the color that natural and pure henna would provide. You can use 'pure henna' and work your way around the color you desire by adding items like coffee water, tea water, hibiscus, indigo etc in the right proportion. You might find this page useful. It lists natural recipes for different hair colors: http://www.cure-for.info/natural-hair-color-dyes/
ACWN

Sarika, this forum and its host site - mehandi.com - are all about using plant dyes and is run by an absolute expert in the field of henna. She has a PhD in it!

Yes, when we say pure henna, we mean that - the plant leaves dried and ground. And we are all well aware that you need to add things to henna to produce colors like brown or black, however when we talk about getting various shades of red such as copper or auburn, that doesn't always require additives. It can happen strictly from the strength of the henna, the time its left on and the starting color of a person's hair, as well as its general condition.

Mehandi.com offers henna that is tested by an independent lab for additives, impurities and dye content. They know how pure and strong their henna is because of this.

Also, things like coffee do not effect the color of the henna. That's a myth. Its fantastic you want to offer advice and we're glad to have you on the forum, but the advice given here... especially from the admins, is well tested by experts (the admins themselves), as well as regular folks on the forum and is known to work reliably.

The link you provided? Some of it is true, and some of it is very incorrect. The procedure suggested for henna, for example, is definitely not what we recommend for optimal dye release and color around here, but it does work (although I wouldn't let henna sit for very long with a water based mix). A two step will actually give you black cat black, not brown-black... at least when its all mixed and applied correctly. You dont want to let indigo sit, you mix and apply right away. And straight indigo on virgin hair gives a blue-ish gray color similar to denim, not purple-blue.

dianecd

Hello everyone,

I put henna on my hair yesterday (February 11, 2014). It worked very well and I am pretty happy with it. There are 2 things I could have done better though:

1. I missed some of my hairline in the front on the right side -- still gray -- : (

2. I put the henna all over my hair and the hair that was already colored, did turn a bit too dark. However, I can see the pretty highlights on my roots and like that very much.

I used White Vinegar because I did not have any lemon juice. That seemed to work fine this time.

CAN I RE-COLOR THE SPOTS WHERE I MISSED MY GRAY? HOW SOON?

P.S. I love this forum. It is very helpful and gave me the confidence to just go for it! Thanks to all of you!

Diane

ACWN
You can re-henna right away, but I would recommend JUST those missed spots!
dianecd

Thanks so much for your quick response. I had hoped it was the case that I could just put the henna on the spots I missed right away!

I really do appreciate all of your help.

Diane