Amla as a Conditioner for use in the Shower

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
telelle
Amla as a Conditioner for use in the Shower
I'm interested in using amla as a conditioner in the shower and am curious how to best do this.

I've read in another post about using a teaspoon in the amount of condition you normally use (for me is a handful), mixing that up and letting it sit on your hair for 15 - 20 minutes or so. I tried this about a week ago and it gave me a lot of body but it made my hair feel very rough and dry at the tips, even after rinsing the amla out and then using a whole other conditioner as a leave-in. My hair texture is normally very smooth and soft, the amla made it feel like I hadn't put any conditioner in my hair at all.

I'm guessing I didn't get the ratio right. Any tips on that would be most welcome. I have curly hair past my shoulder-blades if that helps. Is there an entirely different amla mixing technique I should be using?

Making a single use mix is fine but I am curious how long amla will last if I mixed up an entire bottle for use over a month or so. Is that possible? Also, how often can you use an amla application? Is it like henna in that you can use it whenever you want?

Thanks!
HennaGal
admin
Re: Amla as a Conditioner for use in the Shower
Amla is acidic and will not condition the hair.  It does help to restore/maintain curl and body. If you're looking for a good conditioner, you might try zizyphus.
telelle
Hmmm.... Well, according to the rest of the internet it can function as a conditioner. Also acidity does not automatically mean that it is bad for you hair. For example, apple cider vinegar mixes are extremely popular with curly haired people and result in really happy hair when used correctly.
ACWN

That might be true, but ACV isn't nearly as acidic as amla. Amla is acidic as lemon juice, if not more so, and LJ is very hard on the hair.

I think you're the first person ever to ask about using amla as a conditioner in the entire time I've been part of the Henna for Hair community... which has been since about '08 or '09 with the original forum.

And just to say... the rest of the internet also says that henna should be mixed with hot or boiling water and that indigo alone will give you purple-blue hair... neither of which are necessarily true. Yeah, henna CAN be mixed with hot/boiling water but it really SHOULDNT be. So... just cause the rest of the internet says something doesn't exactly mean its true!

HennaGal
admin
Mild acids can condition and smooth the hair. i use apple cider vinegar in place of a regular conditioner. Amla powder does not. I've heard of others using amla oil as a conditioner, but have never seen good results. Everyone's hair is different and we certainly encourage experimenting!
HennaGal
admin
amla oil is the Indian Gooseberry fruit soaked in something like coconut oil, olive oil or castor oil. the fruit is drained and the oil filtered. in this case it would probably condition for some, but its mostly the base oil.Mehandi only works with the pure plant powder amla, which will not condition.
telelle
The blog posts and stories I'm reading online the women are definitely using the powder to make a paste which they then apply to the hair and let sit for 15-20 minutes. One post I read recently she has used it once a week for 10 months and her hair looks amazing. She is also black and if you know anything about black hair it is extremely demanding, dry, and fragile so I'm very confused/frustrated by all of this information that seems to be awesome in some places and a horrible idea here. :/ I am seeing a few also mention the oil, but they still mention using the powder.

Here's another direct quote:  "Amla is well-known as a hair conditioner but it also has valuable anti-dandruff properties. Mix a little amla powder into water and apply this to the scalp; leave on for about half-an-hour and wash with water."

And another: "This powder has numerous benefits, from strengthening of the hair root to the ends of the hair, it also aids in hair growth, it defines curls (this is something I have noted), "

I could copy and paste til my fingers bleed. It's like this on pretty much every website/health website/personal blog/hair communities I've looked at. There are a lot of positive experiences documented out there.

Sorry about the text getting larger, copy and paste does weird things to text and I'm not sure how to shrink it.
telelle
I did a Google search for "amla powder for hair" and it pulls up only good results as far as I've seen. Some of the pages mention oil as well but all of them have only positive things the say about it.
telelle
Here' s a quote from a doctor that answers question online about Ayurveda. This is what he says about Amla Powder:

"Amla powder is considered and used as one of the best hair rejuvenator across the world. Apply paste of fresh Amla powder mixed with curd and fresh lemon juice as pack. Leave it for 45 minutes and followed by warm water wash. This process is very effective to reduce hair fall and improve hair growth. This process is repeated every alternative day for 90 days for better results."

So you can see why I may have thought that using it as a conditioner was a good idea - because that's what I'm finding across the internet, just not here... :/
ladywings
Not to be rude, but maybe you should try asking the people who wrote the blogs that are saying it works, instead of asking here. You tried it, you didn't like the results, yet you are arguing with the people who are telling you it isn't a good conditioner.
ACWN

Ladywings has a good point, I think... your own hair is telling you that it was too much acid and that it didn't like it, telelle.

And the point of my previous post still stands. I can also copy/paste blurbs from other forums and blogs until my fingers bleed that henna should be or even MUST be mixed with hot or boiling water and here we know for a FACT that its not really good for the henna itself or for optimal results. Just because everyone across the net says something, doesn't mean its true.

As far as that "doctor" goes... well, unless you can verify his credentials, I would take what he says with a grain of salt. Anyone and their granny can claim to be anything they want on the internet. His advice of mixing amla with lemon juice and it supposedly being good for the hair?? Yikes, no way! We know from experience here that amla and lemon juice is WAAAAY too acidic for the hair! It dries the hair out, leaves it brittle and crunchy. Almost fries it.

I've never heard of any one reporting that their hair was happy with them after hitting it with that much acid. However, if you're still so set on trying to make amla a conditioner... I would do this.

Get a stronger conditioner, like coconut oil. Use the same ratio of amla powder to oil that we suggest here for amla to henna. 25g amla per 100g oil. If you want to do it by cups, 1 cup comes out to 208.8 grams so you'd want a max of 50g amla per cup.

If you only need a half cup to saturate your hair, then you'd only need 12.5g of amla - which would be about a tablespoon and a little less than half. According to mehandi.com, a tablespoon of amla equals 9g of amla powder.

If you want to use actual bottled conditioner, then you'll need a food scale that gives weight by grams and measure out the conditioner. But stick to the 25g to 100g ratio.

But I wouldn't leave it on for more than maybe 5 minutes regardless of what "carrier" you use, definitely not 15 - 20. I think that's too much acid sitting on your hair for too long. If you still get the same reaction, cut back the amla amount by half so you're using 12.5g per 100g conditioner/oil. If that's still too acidic, cut it by half again.

telelle
I am asking questions because I am trying to understand why there is such a difference in views and opinions.

I'm sorry if you think I'm being rude but when people tell me something is a certain way and no way around that but I see way too many differeing opinions on the subject I have a tendancy to want to know more. I generally do research when I want to find answers and asking those who disagree with the majority of the internet is something I'm going to do. I suspect if I ask the individuals that support the use of Amla powder in the hair they would say that it works for them and wouldn't know why some of the people on this forum think otherwise.

I am also going to point out that on the Mehandi website ITSELF about Amla is states that

"The paste makes hair glossy and silky, enhances waves and curl, and leaves a clean, healthy scalp. Amla can make henna and indigo dye your hair a cooler brunette.  When you scrub your face with the paste, your skin feels firm and tight." The page also includes a recipe for how to combat fluffy hair...

This might as well be my last response since people here think I'm being rude and argumentative. I'm sorry if asking questions is going to earn me hostility here.
ACWN

Before you take off, I left a lengthy post just above your last one.

Yes, mehandi.com says that but its also in the amounts you use, how long you leave it in and how your hair reacts to it. The site also recommends only leaving it in a few minutes, not 15 - 20.

Not everyone's hair is going to agree with amla and from what you reported, it sounds like your hair might just disagree with that much acid. ACV might be the better way to go for you, perhaps. Its much more mild and gentle.

HennaGal
admin
We encourage everyone to experiment and share. my responses are best on my own and Mehandi's testing and results. Everyone's hair is different!