Almost as good as buxus

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Gretchen
Almost as good as buxus
I just did my roots with 2:2:1 cassia: indigo: henna with the henna and cassia dye released with amla. This combo is as good as 2:1 buxus: henna to get a lighter brown with warm (but not overpowering) red highlights. Love it! Can't wait to see it tomorrow in daylight. So far it's very pretty. Whew..thought I'd never survive without buxus.
cosmetologist.lady
Re: Almost as good as buxus
This is wonderful news! We experienced wonderful results with this mix when we did our most recent testing. Thank you for the feedback on how the mix worked for you. I'm sure many other former buxus users would love to learn of your success! :)
Gretchen
Additional comments: I also noticed this mix is very creamy and easy to use. I don't know if it's the cassia or the indigo that does this but I didn't have any "crumbs" falling off my head. It was also very easy to rinse - only one time with conditioner followed by normal shampoo and conditioner. I will never go back to chemical colorants!
cosmetologist.lady
Mehandi.com Customer Service would love to see your final results, if you'd be willing. Could you please send us a picture to helpdesk@mehandi.com? Thanks Gretchen! :)
Gretchen
Sure I'll get that to you today.
Nevada
How much Amla did you use (and how much mixture of the 2:2:1 did you make, 100 g or so?)

Thanks
Gretchen
I have shoulder length, curly, very fine hair so 7-8 oz of all the dyes together does my roots and most of my ends. This is what I used this time: 4 teaspoons henna dye-released with 1 tsp amla (4:1) for 12 hours; 8 teaspoons cassia dye-released with 2 tsp amla (4:1) for 12 hours; 8 teaspoons indigo mixed with only distilled water right before using. Mix all together with about 1/2 tsp ginger and 1/4+ tsp cloves and apply to freshly washed, damp hair. Then I leave it in for 2.5 hours. Any longer and I get too much red. Any shorter and it's too green/blue although I might up the indigo to 10 teaspoons next time or 2.5 parts indigo to 1 part henna. For just roots with not so much left over for length, I start with 2 Tablespoons Indigo, 2 T Cassia, and one T Henna. That usually makes about 6 1/2 oz. The amount of Amla is always between 25-33% of the henna or cassia. I just go by the Mehandi recommendations!
Gretchen
Here's an update on my mix. I did a root touch up again but this time used 3 parts cassia, 2 parts indigo and one part henna. I like it even better! Just a little bit lighter and seems less red at the roots. My only complaint is that this made almost 8 oz. and I only need 5-6 oz. to cover roots. I had to throw away the rest. Guess I need to use a different measuring spoon or use really skimpy tablespoons.
Biberin
Gretchen, do you have a photo up somewhere? I'm steeling myself to do my roots after an unsatisfactory attempt at a mix without buxus. I keep putting it off, but now my grey is showing and I have to suck it up and take the plunge!
Gretchen
I don't but will if you know how and where I should post some.
Biberin
At the top of the hair forum there is a link to a flickr page. I don't have personal experience with it, but it looks like you create a user account for yourself, upload a picture to your personal account, and then share it over on the group page. I wish I weren't so scared of indigo. I did my eyebrows with straight jasmine (low dye content) this morning, and an hour of that is perfect. I've decided to try it on my roots, just the low dye henna, and only for a couple hours. I bet part of my lack of success with 50/50 henna and cassia was that I was using the highest dye content variety of henna, and I've always just gone to bed for the night with the stuff in my hair, so whatever mix takes very deeply.
Gretchen
I'll work on the photo thing when I have time. As for leaving the henna in your hair overnight - I use the strongest henna I can get in my mix and leave it in no longer than 2.5 hours. The indigo is done staining at about that time, but the henna will keep making the red deeper. I am shooting for brown so I rinse when the indigo is used up so I don't get so much red. Not sure why you're afraid of indigo. Never had a problem.