Will my curl pattern return?

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Corkscrew Curls
Will my curl pattern return?

Hello Henna Heads,

I started using henna about a year and a half ago mostly for the color which I love.  Within that time period I've treated my hair with henna & indigo about 5 times with the last treatment being in October 2013. I don't like the way it has loosened my curl pattern and I was wondering if my hair would return to its original texture if I stopped using henna. Thanks!

ACWN
Re: Will my curl pattern return?

I don't know about any new growth as it comes in - I would imagine it would since its your natural growth, but the weight of your hair and the dye on the hair may keep it pulled loose.

For your length NOW, something you can do is apply amla. Mix up enough amla to fully coat your hair, apply and let sit for a few minutes. Rinse it out and while your hair is still wet, put it in curlers/rag curls/pin curls. Amla works like a mild perm but is plant/fruit based and wont actually damage your hair. Its not permanent (unfortunately), but you can repeat as needed. It usually lasts about 3 weeks, I think.

If you'd like to keep using plant dyes, you can add amla to the henna portion to help preserve your curl and you'd want to do roots only from now on. Amla is acidic, so you'd mix 25g amla per 100g henna and use distilled water as your liquid. 12 hours is the rough time frame for dye release. It will cool down the results though, making it more of a dark chocolate vs the warmer milk chocolate of a plain hennigo mix.

Corkscrew Curls
Re: Will my curl pattern return?
Thanks for the information about Amla.