Anyone use Wen before henna, then indigo for dark brown hair?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Mishkyn
Anyone use Wen before henna, then indigo for dark brown hair?
I have been using Wen Cleansing Conditioner to clean my hair, but wonder if anyone has used it before doing a two step process of 3-4 hours of henna, followed by 60-90 min of Indigo for dark brown color? I feel Wen may not be clarifying enough for the Henna, then Indigo to stick to my hair. Any suggestions? Thanks, Mishkyn
ACWN
Re: Anyone use Wen before henna, then indigo for dark brown ...

I think it was once mentioned ages ago that Wen is basically an over priced shampoo that's loaded down with (I think) silicones.

I would hazard to say that it probably isn't as clarifying as you may need and would recommend something stronger - an actual clarifying shampoo from another brand... or even dish soap and baking soda - it will be hard on your hair, but it will make your hair super clean.

BTW - a two step like you're describing will (or should) give you BLACK, not dark brown. If you want dark brown, you will need to dilute the indigo with some henna (25% at least).

Mishkyn
Thanks so much for your reply. I stopped using Wen after the first time. Read too many stories of hair loss and product buildup. No thanks. I have found some natural ways to clean my hair that work cheaply and perfectly. As far as dying my hair, I have been doing the two step process for several years, and because, as many others have found, so much indigo washes out of my hair, my roots start out dark (not black) but become slightly lighter brown after one wash, and I always wait at least 4-5 days before washing. Using things like Zizyphus Christi or Shikakai to wash my hair, helps keep more of the indigo in than other methods, but it still remains brown. My roots, after 4 hours with henna, are extremely bright orange. Then I do the indigo for about 90 min. Never have had a problem with black roots. I think it is just the odd way my hair takes color. Shikakai, for those who have not used it, makes my hair feel like silk, but not limp--it has a great deal of body. Be careful not to get any in your eyes. Hairdresser and chemist friends have helped me refine the process by telling me to use a slightly acid rinse to close the hair cuticle. Some people use a small amount of Apple Cider Vinegar in water for the last rinse, I can't use it, but I have used 1/4 teaspoon of citric acid in 2 cups of water, that works great for me, or a tablespoon of amla in a cup or so of water for the final rinse is just acid enough to do the job. I have used several types of no-poo ways to clean my hair, all followed by slightly acid rinses, and found my hair looks better than it ever has. I find rotating what I use to clean my hair works best for me. Wen is not actually a shampoo, it is an overpriced conditioner with no sulfates or usual shampoo ingredients in it. While it claims to have only water soluble silicones, that is not true, based on their own ingredients list for their various cleansing conditioners. Thanks again for your reply.
ACWN

Wow, while the indigo part stinks.. everything else is great! Thank you for posting that, its a really great share and could really help others who're having indigo staying issues.

I wonder if something in indigo in general has changed.. like the way its processed or something in its chemical structure has changed slightly... I don't recall so many people having fading issues in the past, it seems like its become an issue in the last couple of years or so. Hm..