Brassy Grey Area

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Kathryn
Brassy Grey Area
New Hello I am not new to henna. I tried it a year ago and once my roots were out a few inches I gave up and went back to hair dye. A couple of months ago I decided to try it again and did a henna gloss. It turned out very well. Even the first root touch up was good, but I started to notice the orange creeping in. The very sides and first couple of inches into the crown are grey on my head. The rest is a light brown - this hair took the gloss well and I have had no issues with the root touch ups - perfect every time. The grey part does settle down after about a week, but is still a copper color. I hate to stop using henna again because I have dry scalp with some eczema and when I use the chemicals it breaks out. Henna keeps it good. Any suggestions you could offer would be good. I like the red and am not trying to make it brown. I don't even mind having the lighter around my face, but need to tone down this brassiness.
ACWN
Re: Brassy Grey Area
What henna are you using? How weak are you making the gloss? How long are you leaving it on?
Kathryn
I use the Twilight Henna. The gloss is half a cup of plain fat free yogurt with 1Tablespoon of dye released henna. I used tea and lemon juice to make the henna and let it dye release for 4 hours. When I checked on my palm it was ready. I wash my hair with dish soap prior to applying and leave on for 2 hours. It covers all of the gray, but comes out too brassy on just those areas.
Kathryn
Do you have any suggestions?
CCartwrightJones
admin
Skip the yoghurt and use a different fruit juice.  Any clear fruit juice will provide the acidity you need, though you might have to make some time adjustments if there are enzymes in the juice that might rush the breakup.  They all give slightly different results.  Lime juice is too acidic by itself, but you can dilute it.  I think it's possible that a rainwash treatment would help.  Sometimes you have to bust up the keratin a little in particularly hard keratin; do that by applying a dishwashing liquid and letting it sit on the stubborn spot a while, then wash it out before you henna.
Kathryn
I do not use fruit juice at all. I use lemon and tea to mix the henna. The reason I was using the yogurt was because I am doing a henna gloss. Also I do scrub with dish washing liquid prior to use. The problem is around my face with the grey. Do you think mixing the henna with amla for just that area would help? Thank you.
ACWN

Lemon juice is fruit juice. Try apple instead - no tea.

Use conditioner instead of yogurt.

If you want a stronger color on just your gray, you can apply straight henna to just that area if the grey is concentrated.

Kathryn
So are you saying apple juice is better at keeping the orange down? What do you think about using equal parts of henna and indigo in the gloss? Thank you
ACWN

I think its the fact that you're using tea and making a gloss that's causing the orange. Both of those factors add up to orange tones on light colored hair.

A hennigo in a gloss would give you a light brown on your grays.

Kathryn
Ok so I think I am getting it. I need to make up new henna with maybe Apple juice and I can still use a gloss but use cheap conditioner and it won't be so orange? The color I have on the rest of my hair is a strawberry real light brown and I really like it. I would not mind if those area are a little lighter just not so orange. Thank you very much for your help. You girls really give great advice.
ACWN

A gloss is still going to result in orange, that's kindve the point of a gloss. If your greys are concentrated, I would do a hennigo gloss with 75% henna and 25% indigo (just enough indigo to tone down the orange, basically) on JUST those areas that are grey and a regular henna gloss on everything else.

Kindve tricky, but, that may get you more of what you want.

Kathryn
Thank you very much for all of the clarification. I really do want this to work. I have one more question - you said to use 25% indigo so if that was say 1/4 tsp would I mix it in warm water first then measure the 1/4 tsp and add to conditioner or would I measure out the 1/4 tsp of powder and put it in the conditioner. I think I know to mix the henna and conditioner first then add the indigo. Also, before I was leaving it on for 2 hours is that the same for this? Thank you again.
Kathryn
So here is what I did. I used 1/2 tsp henna (henna had been mixed dye released with apple juice) and 1/4 tsp indigo in 1 oz conditioner. Left it on a inconspicuous area for 2 hours. It came out red and brassy. Not sure how this will be in a few days. I will have to keep a watch on it to see. Tomorrow I am going to try 1/2 tsp of each (henna and indigo) for two hours in another area and see how it comes out. I have been researching other post and was wondering what about mixing henna with amla do you think this would help? Darn those greys!
faithymom
Brassy grey area

May I suggest leaving the henna on longer? 2 hours doesn't seem like enough time for the henna to penetrate very deeply into the hair shaft.

I put mine on before bed and wash it out in the morning. While the first few days are very bright , it tones down by day 3.

I have at least 40% grey and I think I'm using Monsoon. :)

Perhaps that will help or perhaps this issue has been solved.