Can you remove if there is indigo?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
gencaf
Can you remove if there is indigo?
I think I know the answer to this and I searched and read the thread about henna, but thought I would ask. Is there anyway to remove the henna/indigo/amla mix from my shoulder length hair? I have been using henna probably almost 4 years. I touch up roots every 3-4 months. I can't believe it, but I think I just tired of this color. My natural is a mousey brown and while I have enjoyed doing it myself and using the henna. I am ready for a change. Is there anything I can do, short of letting it grow out? I am willing to cut a significant portion off, but that still won't remove the dye from whats left.

Thank you for your help
ACWN
Re: Can you remove if there is indigo?

The short answer is "no".

The full answer is... you CAN remove henna from your hair, but it takes extensive bleaching (nothing else will really remove it) and by the time you get to an actual blonde color, your hair will be so fried and bubblegum-ed (that is, it stretches then snaps like chewed gum) that you'll have to lop it all off any way.

Since there is indigo in your hair, this method is even less recommended because you will end up with a blotchy, moldy green color that will potentially have patches of brown and/or orange in it. Its nearly impossible to cover with ANYTHING.. including henna. From what I recall, the "pattern" created by the blotches shows through.

Now, there are a few things you can try to strip the indigo without this effect... one method is scrubbing the heck out of your hair with dish soap and baking soda. Vitamin C powder has also been reported in having some effect. Both these methods can be very harsh on the hair, so have a heavy duty conditioning treatment on hand for afterwards. You can also try chemical color removers like Color Oops or Color Fix. You'll use the first two steps, but avoid the third as it often has peroxide.

However, there are no promises and the best (safest) method would be to gradually alter your mix so you have a smooth change from your current color to whatever color you want to have now - be it your natural color or something else.

Rosetta
quote: "You can also try chemical color removers like Color Oops or Color Fix. You'll use the first two steps, but avoid the third as it often has peroxide."
It doesn't, actually - if you're talking about Colour B4 type color removers, which Color Oops also is (not sure about ColorFix). The third step in those is just basically shampoo, though they call it "buffer". :)
m_moore
admin
You may have to end up cutting it to get the majority out- but you can use a clarifying shampoo once a week, use warmer water, absorbic acid- vitamin a, can also help- this could help-- it may not- but it's worth a shot- you may need to alternate using a clarifying shampoo and vitamin c, but do it about once a week and in this pace it won't dry out the hair =]

Maria