Best Henna Dye Release for Beard

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
BrownBeard
Best Henna Dye Release for Beard
As I have mentioned previously, I have a short beard. As facial hair tends to grow quickly or at least you notice the roots more quickly, I need to tend to my beard at least twice-a-week. I have been using the Henna/Indigo process with satisfying results thus far.

The only down-side is the length with which one needs to keep the mixtures on. For me, it tends to be at least 2 hrs of Henna, followed by at least 3 hrs of Indigo/Henna mix.

Anyway, it is coming on to the time when I will need to mix up some more henna as my frozen batch is almost gone. I read somewhere that using lemon juice is not advised for the dye release process as the mixture can tend to dry out ones hair. If this is so, I would appreciate any advise as to what might be a better dye release agent. Thanks as always.
ACWN
Re: Best Henna Dye Release for Beard

You can use a pretty wide range of acidic liquids including orange juice, ACV, apple juice, or cranberry. Given you have gray hair and facial hair on men tends to be pretty thick and coarse, lemon juice might be the best bet for you as it tends to penetrate stubborn gray better.

If you haven't noticed any dryness in your beard, given how often you do it, you may not need to worry about it. Though if you're worried, you can follow up your applications (a couple days later, mind) with a moisture treatment like coconut oil. Just apply it heavily and sleep in it, then wash out whats not absorbed the next morning.

BrownBeard
Re: Best Henna Dye Release for Beard
Thanks. Actually the lemon juice worked great, and didn't seem to take so long to release the dye (just overnight). Maybe I'll just stick with that. I usually wash it during the in-between with conditioner. It only last 2-3 days before it's again time to re-dye.