Beginner' Questions

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
maorseven
Beginner' Questions

Hey,

I have some basic questions about the application of henna and indigo:
1. My hair is a bit under shoulder length, but it is thin. It is also quite oily. Will I need a substantial amount of both henna and indigo considering this? Will I need to make sure that there is no oil in my hair?
2. Is it crucial to apply henna and indigo separately to create a jet black color?

Thanks,
Maor.

HennaGal
admin
Re: Beginner' Questions
1. it sounds like you'll need 150-200g total.

2. depending on your hair color you have a few options. for a true jet black, yes, the two step process is the best. For a soft black you can use 2 or 3 parts indigo to 1 part henna.
maorseven
Thank you. :)
tbonita
100 grams of each is what I used at that length and had plenty. I've hennaed over oily hair and have had just fine results, but ymmv cause some people need squeaky clean hair. Lay down a good solid bed of henna and rinse with water ONLY- don't CO it out. Shampoo even. Just no oils or conditioners of any kind before the indigo step. Some even do a baking soda rinse beforehand. I've added salt to help indigo stick and a tiny bit of xanthan gum powder (mix that powder w indigo powder before adding liquid or you'll get lumps) and the texture of the indigo will be amazingly smooth and easy to work with. This should give jet black... It does for me! :)
padove
Two questions, please:  1)

Two questions, please:  1)  What does a baking soda treatment do to the hair to prepare it for a hendigo treatment?  and 2)  Xantham Gum . . . does it help the hendigo "stick" to the hair better and therfore helping the color stay? Or does it just help the smoothness of the process of applying the paste?  Thanks in advance for your answers!

tbonita
1-baking soda opens up the

1-baking soda opens up the cuticle kind of like Presoftening to help with dye uptake and also indigo likes an alkaline environment. 

2-xanthan gum only helps the paste go on/stay on smoother. I've even heard reports that it could negatively affect dye uptake but I think this is rare and its certainly never happened to me. 

HTH!!!