tone down my natural redhead

Hello
I've just ordered:
 25g Amla Ancient Sunrise®: one box

100g Rajasthani Jasmine Ancient Sunrise®

Ancient Sunrise® Zehkara Indigo 100g

100g Ancient Sunrise® Cassia Obovata

CMC powder 2g sample

I have naturally light redhead. I usually color my hair with all kind of chemical dyes that are giving me some ashy tone (7-1 \ 8-1, 1 is for the ashy tone).
Right now, I can't use chemical dyes again because I'm suffering from allergic reaction to these dyes.

I'm a man, and I hate my ginger light hair. when I'm using ashy shade to cool my shades I'm quite satisfied with the look.

I read a lot of posts in this forum and in the website , and I know its a process of try and error until I will find the best plant dye that suites my needs.

So as you can see from my order, I will have all the plants- Henna, Indigo, Amla and Cassia. I read so many recipes and I'm getting lost.

here are my options to start my trail:
1. Try indigo alnoe to cool down my hair color. I read that maybe I should try it mixed with cassia. what do you think? in what ratio? and should I do it as a gloss with conditioner or with pure water?

2. try indigo +amla+ Henna. I suspect that the best ratio is 0.4-0.45 henna to 0.6-0.55 indigo. what do you think?

I really want to achive my desire color in the minmum trails. I don't sure if I will get the same ashy color I could find with chimical, but I'm sure I can get some more ashy tones on my light redhair.

photos:
1, this is quite  similar to my natural redhead color:
http://www.webburgr.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ginger-male-2-3.jpg

2. this is photos of how my color looks after I color my hair with ashy tones:
http://i61.tinypic.com/sgnxg3.jpg

One last thing- like you see in 2 photo- I can handle with some red pigment in my hair, as long as it's not dominent. the photo in the left it my favurite. I wish I could get close to this color with plant dyes.

Please help me!
Thanks !

m_moore
admin
Re: tone down my natural redhead
Hi there =] What I would suggest is using 2 parts cassia, 1 part henna, 1 part in indigo to start off with-
If you use straight indigo it's going to be a blue/greenish color
If you use indigo and henna/amla your hair is going to be dark.

It's a pain to go lighter- usually possible however- but it's always easier to go darker =]

By the way---awesome picture of the ginger man!

Maria
Nargilyos

Thanks for your help Maria,

Can yut elborate what you think I should do- I mean: should I do it 1 step process or 2 steps? correct me if i'm wrong, but I need to mix henna with cassia (in water? lemon juice?), wait for dye release (?) and in seperate vessel mix indigo with water, then put it together for sometime?

about puting staight indigo:
in the past, I tried to mix manic-panic purple with conditioner and put it as a gloss for 30 mintues. the manic-panic dye is simply purple dye, and it give me ashy look. the problem- my body react to these kind of dyes, so I cant use it.
(you can see it here- http://chloeshere.blogspot.ie/2013/07/how-to-make-toner-for-blonde-hair.html )
I'm telling it to stress that maybe indigo alone or with some other plant could be used here?  (The biggest problem as I see it- Indigo will not stick well alone).

I will be happy to read you and other ideas. I'm trying to find the best strategy for my goals.

Thanks again.

m_moore
admin
If your hair is less than 3 inches- you will have to start with a bag of each and mix it this way:

8 Tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon Cassia + 1/4 cup Jasmine Henna with apple juice until it is a mashed potato consistency *get rid of all lumps*

Cover this and let it sit for 8-12 hours

Then mix up 5 Tablespoons Sudina indigo and add distilled water until it has the same consistency as the henna/cassia

You will then add them all together and mix well then apply generously!

Straight indigo is a blue/green color and it needs the henna to bind to the keratin to stay- I understand the laws of toning- but indigo doesn't quite follow it by itself--that and straight indigo is very dark

I would leave this on for about 3 hours and rinse--but before hand, I would do a rainwash before hand for best results, even if you don't have hard water.

The first day may be bright- but it will calm down within 4 to 7 days-- and you can always do an indigo gloss afterward if it is still too red by mixing a teaspoon of indigo powder with 3 Tablespoons of any conditioner and leave it on for 15 minutes.

=] I hope this helps!

Maria

p.s. you can always mix the amla in with the henna/cassia mixture but I would see how it looks without it first because amla can darken the hair-- it's easier to go darker, not so much to go lighter.

Nargilyos

Hi,

Can you say how much weight is 1\4 cup? (or how much Tablespoons in 1\4 cup?) . I prefer to use my digital weight :)

and question about the henna-indigo ratio: I don't know how much henna there is  in 1\4 cup, but if indigo is 5 tbs and cassia is more then 8 tablespoons , I'm afraid I will go out more ginger than Ihe first place. 

What is rainwash? should I wash it with special water? how do I get it?

Many thanks for your help! Appreciate it.

m_moore
admin
Hello =] Sorry it took a few days for me to get back to you!

8T + 1 teaspoon cassia is about: 50g (1/2 a bag)
1/4 Cup of Henna is 3Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons) which is about 25g
5Tablesppons of Indigo is about 25g

With this ratio it will create a light brown color mixture- the henna- Jasmine is the lowest dye content- the indigo is subtle as well-- these two together create a medium brown mix- When you add cassia it dilutes the mixture =]

This way you can always go darker =]

Rainwash is Potassium Gluconate, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Dextrose, Xanthan Gum, and Aloe.  This blend of powders help get rid of any mineral build up in the hair from hard water, minerals in water, products, anything! It's awesome!  It's really good to do right before any kind of cassia, henna, indigo treatment because it helps it takes better.

If you hair does turn out to be more red than you would like you can also always do an indigo gloss- 1 teaspoon indigo powder with 3 Tablespoons of any conditioner- leave it on for about 15 minutes- this will help brown down your locks =]

Maria
Nargilyos

Thanks again Maria, you are really kind!

few more question please,

1.You recommend to put the mixture of Henna\Indigo\Cassia for about 3 Hours. Maybe its silly question, but what will happen if I'd put it for shorter time, just to see how it goes. Then, if I need more time-I'd put more mixture and wait more time?

I mean, what will happen if I wash my hair after 1 hour? 2 hours? 
I'm asking it because as I understand, Indigo will be more dominant in the begining, while Henna need some more time to dye the hair, am I right?

2. I just read read this (from the FAQ)

"If you want to make sure your henna has good dye release, you can add prepared, dye-released paste instead of powder. Putting henna powder into room temperature conditioner, you don't know for sure how quickly dye release will occur. If you want an ashier shade of blonde or brown from a henna/buxus or henna/indigo gloss, it might be desirable to get a weaker effect from the henna, in which case using it as a powder instead of paste may be helpful."
so, maybe its better to use it without dye release? (the indigo will stick to the hair in this situation?).

3. Last question :)  Do I need to wrap my head with plastic/towel after I spread the paste into my hair? I ask this because I read o
pposing views. In your site you recommend to put plastic wrapping, but I read this: Apply the mixture immediately on your hair (don't wait for dye to release) and leave it on for 30 - 40 minutes. Dont wrap your hair in foil or something!!! Leave it asi it is, because indigo needs air to oxidise.
So, What is right for me ?

Thank you so much!!!

m_moore
admin
Anytime =]

1)  It's not a silly question-- the mixture will possibly be a little more on the brassier side rather than brown side but you can always give it a try, as everyone's hair is different! 

2) You need your henna to be dye released so that the indigo will stick.  The henna binds to the hair- the indigo binds to the henna- if it isn't dye released the indigo will be very faint or not show up at all or may only show up giving a green/blue cast

3)Indigo does not need to oxidize.  The person who wrote that probably is familiar with ppd in their indigo because ppd does need to oxidize.  You need to wrap it in plastic to keep the heat in and to keep it moist.  Once it dries, it doesn't work nearly as well. =]

If we had buxus, I would actually recommend that for you, but unfortunately due to political situations, we have not been able to find a  reliable source for it. =]

Nargilyos

Thanks, I know I have many questions- I will do it for my first time and I don't want to find myself clueless in the middle of the process. you are really helpful. I'm thankful for that!

about buxus - it's weaker than Indigo, so why you think buxus is good for me? it can stick to the hair without Henna? as far as I know, buxus has a green shade, and Indigo has a blue\purpule shade. I think that both should be good to cancel my orange\red hair. at least it works this way with "regular" dyes.

** if you say buxus should be good for me, its shame I can't use it, maybe I will find it in ebay or something.

and last question - if I would put the mixture for only 1-2 hours, my hair will be brassier? I thought that Indigo is developing faster than henna- so It will be less red. Am I wrong? 

THANKS

m_moore
admin
No problem!! Ask away!

Buxus is nice for toning red down =] Better than indigo if you aren't going dark!

I believe it needs henna or cassia with it other wise it can make your hair a bluish/ashy color otherwise =]

Indigo is more of a greenish/blue color =]

Chemical dyes are different than henna.. therefore the colorwheel doesn't always apply to the laws of henna.

To be honest- I would not get it off of ebay- lab tested is the best way to go otherwise it's probably not buxus or has a lot of additives.

If you do 1-2 hours, it will be a little brassy porbably- indigo needs henna to work- you want it to process completely for the best results =]

Nargilyos
Thank you! I'll let to know how it goes :)
Nargilyos
Hello,

Hello,

Its been a while since I was consulting with you!

In the end I found buxus (pure and not fake) so I made some tests with it to try and get more asheir look to my ginger hair. 

I used cassia and buxus in ratio of 2 part of cassia to 1 part of buxus. I put it for 1:30-1:45 hours and the results was quite good, altough I'm willing to find better formula for me. 
It actually gave my hair more darker ginger look, but I still find it too ginger. It's hard to explain what I'm trying to achive - but I would like it to be more ashier- less ginger- without darken my hair.

Right now I thinking about 2 options: 
1. add a little bit of henna to the mixture. while henna is the oppsite of my goal (ashier tone)- maybe it will help the buxus to give me my desire shade. its a gumble but I'm willing to try it. I still don't know if it will be better to combine it with or without henna that sat for 8-12 hours before (dye released henna). what do you think?

2. I have Amla that I ordered and I'm wondering if I can combine it with buxus+cassia mixture? and with buxus+cassia+henna mixture? I know Amla gives ashier tone in the mixutre of henna and indigo and i'm wondering if it could have the same affect with buxus+cassia\buxus+cassia+henna? 
(I read that amla is acidic and buxus needs alkaline envirment so I'm not sure if it will be suitable).

Thanks a lot.