Hair feels like straw after - what can I use to deep condition?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Avigayils
Hair feels like straw after - what can I use to deep condition?

I live in Israel and can get pure henna powder for very cheap in the shuk (market) here. I mixed 1 1/2 c. henna powder with juice from 8-10 lemons, covered and let sit for 12 hours then applied and slept with it overnight. I used to have dark honey brown hair but am now mostly gray. it's roughly to the top of my shoulders in length. The roots seem to have covered fairly well but are lighter than the rest, of course, and overall the whole thing is lighter than I'd wanted. I ultimately am going for a deep auburn - not orange, not wine, not burgundy, not purple. This is close to what I had in mind: http://www.hennaforhair.com/mixes/elektra/.

I did the henna application on Saturday night and since then my hair has felt like straw. Dry as brittle and matted as anything and just......ew......no matter how much conditioner I use. I realize now that I probably used too much lemon juice and probably should have used something a bit less acidic. Not sure what though. 

What can I put on my hair now to deep condition and get my hair soft again? Olive oil? Coconut oil? Other?

I plan to reapply the henna this coming Saturday night to try to get a deeper hue. I also didn't mention that I am doing henna over previously chemically dyed hair. So I won't get an accurate picture of what color the henna really gives me until the chemically dyed hair grows out.

I will do a few applications of henna like this and if I still can't get it dark enough, I would like to try adding indigo but I haven't figured out where to get pure inidgo here yet. Ordering from the US or UK is prohibitively expensive (shipping). If anyone knows of any mail order sources in the Middle East, please let me know! For Amla too!

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Avigayils
Also, for next time I do

Also, for next time I do henna, assuming I use 1 1/2 c. of henna powder, how much acidic liquid should I use? What should the ratio be?

Sunnylove
Hi from Israel! :)

Hi, I'm from Israel, too! :D Very excited to find someone else from Israel also interested in henna Yay! :)

I haven't hennaed my hair yet, I'm still gathering info to do it soon, but i'm gonna tell you what I know and learned until now. I know that the best natural conditioner for dry hair ever is coconut butter, or if you can't find that, coconut milk. Yes, you can also try warmish olive oil, too, which is the most in hand. You could also check out TheLongHairCommunity forums. I've seen the girls there often talk about hair oiling, and different oil mixes they use to soften hair and also make it grow faster.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/index.php

I think simply reapplying henna could also improve it, since henna itself, if not mixed with too much acid, is supposed to soften the hair. From what I read around here, apple juice is the least acidic thing you can add in the henna to release the dye, mild enough to not dry your hair. So probably a coconut butter-apple juice-henna mix would be okay.
As for the darkening, I know that the repeated application of henna itself is supposed to build up the color, in time. But adding the following helps darken the color even more, without drying: rosemary, cloves, boiled wallnut leaves (if you can find this in Israel).

A very helpful example for darkening gray hair I found here: http://gallimaufrygrove.blogspot.co.il/2014/01/henna-for-gray-hair.html

I am light brown with some grays too, and also want to go darkest auburn I can. (I like your example very much, although I won't mind a little lighter than that, as long as it's not the dreadded ginger.) I was hoping to achieve this without having to add indigo and amla, but I don't know if I can get away with it... I don't know where to get the henna in Israel, yet. Can I pm you about that?

For now, I am thinking to use the highest lawsone henna I can get (probably Yemeni), apple juice or cranberry juice, rosemary and cloves.

About the indigo, I want to be prepared with some, and maybe amla, just in case the simple henna will make me too ginger or something. First, I planned to check in the organic stores. I assume you couldn't find any in the shuk? If not, we'll have to resort to ordering online. I think Mehandi would be the safest choice, although, yeah... expensive. There is also Alibaba/Aliexpress.com, (they're based in China) and they say they have 100% pure indigo powder and amla, but I don't know wether to trust them. In any case, I hope I can buy/order a small quantity to do strand test before.

I will also open a trend about how to test indigo, to see if it's pure and won't make the hair go green/blue, or fade too soon.
I hope I could help. and that you will succeed and get a beautiful color, and hope we'll stay in touch, and discuss what we managed to find and where.

Great pleasure meeting you, Avigayils! Shalom! :)

Sunnylove
One more helpful link - cocunut milk henna gloss

I just found this and thought it might help you: 

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128407

Take care to not apply henna too often though, to avoid overloading your hair with too much protein  - yes, that can also happen! - protein is good to fix dry hair and make it smooth. However, too much protein can also cause it to break.  How much henna can your hair take until it absorbs too much protein, that differs from person to person , each of us have a diferent level after we reach protein saturation. I think one gloss will do you good right now, as you only hennaed once.

Good luck!