Hennaed hair turned dark brown

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
ursa_kim
Hennaed hair turned dark brown

Hi there,

I would appreciate your opinion on this problem of mine. My hennaed hair (I used henna over a light brown chemical dye, so the shade was a brighter red) turned dark brown after I spent several hours in a geothermal hot spring (the water was high in sulfur, iron and carbon dioxide, its temperature was about 37 degrees celsius).  I was quite suprised that happened ( I guess it's the oxidation process?), and I would just like to know if it would be safe for me to use a chemical dye on my hair to make it lighter again? Or would that ruin my hair?

Thanks for all your help.

Take care,

Ursa

tbonita
Id try to get some of those

Id try to get some of those mineral deposits out of your hair... Maybe that's what's causing the off color. If it started out red it shouldn't have turned dark brown. Sallys makes a product that does this. 

ursa_kim
Ok, thanks for the tip.  

Ok, thanks for the tip.

m_moore
admin
Henna is translucent, so on

Henna is translucent, so on light brown hair it would still have a red tone, however, being in the heat for a while will make it deeper (almost like leaving it on for twice the time) and the minerals also will effect the outcome.

I recommend trying vitamin c and a clarifying shampoo to help lighten up the hair a little bit.  Make this into a paste and leave on for 20 minutes, then follow with a deep conditioning treatment.  You can do this as often as you need to. It may be gradual, but subtle results are better than none =]