Tea or lemon for dye release?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Redteddy33

I have a package of 'Henna for Gray Hair, Medium Brunette'. I've purchased henna from Mehandi before but never this package for gray, its a welcome idea. 

Now I haven't used henna in my hair for maybe a year. I had to stop using henna because it had changed the texture of my hair and overuse gave my hair a protein burn out (dry unmanageble hair). I've been off any kind of protein and henna. Now my hair has gone back to its normal texure and I would like to give  henna another try using it maybe 3xs a year instead of every 4 to 6 weeks.

I have always used black tea with henna, reading the instructions in this package it says use lemon, orange or apple juice. 

What is the difference between using juice and using tea in henna for dye release? From what I recall the dye release was in a few hours with black tea. Here it says to leave the dye overnight for 12 hours. 

I don't want to ruin this batch so I would like to know whether its best to use the juice or the black tea and what would be the results with each.

Thanks

e_rowley
admin

We actually do not recommend using tea nor coffee for a few different reasons; they smell bad, can cause headaches, and do nothing for the color.

We recommend using a fruit juice at room temperature for 8-12 hours. If you use apple juice, the dye-release time is 4-6 hours.

Henna itself should actually result in conditioning and strengthening of the hair, not dryness or breakage. Do you have hard water in your area? That also can cause dryness due to mineral buildup. If this is the case, I definitely recommend using our Rainwash to be sure you're starting out with clean, fresh hair.   http://www.mehandi.com/shop/rainwash/index.html

Redteddy33
Thanks for the reply. I have

Thanks for the reply. I have some unsweetened apple juice which I will use. Actually I don't know whether our water is hard or not. The issue was not dryness or breakage; my hair actually was quite strong and grew longer. The issue was the affect henna was having on my curls, they turned into frizziness, not straight and not curly. It was my hairdresser who recommended going off the henna for a while because I was using it every month and she said that my hair wasn't reacting well to so much protein. She recommended going off and let my curls recover, stop using any protien hair products and then if I decide to go back to henna not using it more than 3 or 4xs a year (basically every few months). 

m_moore
admin
Have you tried amla in your

Have you tried amla in your mixture? I would recommend just doing roots only, if you aren't already =]