Henna for rosacea

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
leighoc
Henna for rosacea

hey. I know henna has been used for lice, dandruff, hot spots and other skin issues so I'm wondering..... I have mild rosacea. It's caused by a skin mite (gross, I know. Please don't judge.) If I put henna on my cheeks, would that 1) "cure" the rosacea 2) stain my cheeks longer than a day? 

There is no cure for rosacea. You can only control to to a point. I'm looking for something to control it better than what I've been doing.

Thanks. 

emerald888
Rosacea

Hi there!

This is a super old post, so I'm hoping you'll actually receive this reply.  :-)

You might be surprised to know, that a lot of rosacea flare ups are actually caused by issues in the gut!  In fact, you'd probably be shocked to know just how many ailments stem from the guts.

I would say A: you probably wouldn't be happy dealing with the henna stains on your face and B: any type of topical treatment for rosacea is going to provide temporary results at best.

If you have been dealing with rosacea for any length of time, you're probably aware that sometimes antibiotics are used as part of the treatment plan for it.  What you may not know is that the antibiotics aren't treating your face directly, but killing off excess "bad" bacteria in your gut.

I would recommend checking out http://www.siboinfo.com/ to get information on SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth).  This condition can wreak all kinds of havoc in your body and cause it to flare up in all kinds of interesting ways.

I can attest that after my doctor did a hardcore treatment of 2 different antibiotics and an antifungal for 2 weeks time, taking large quantities of probiotics, as well as transitioning to the Low FODMAP diet, I stopped having issues with bloating, abdominal discomfort, rosacea flare ups, and eczema.  That is, at least until I became pregnant and my guts slowed to a point that the "bad" bacteria was easily able to recolonize.  Things typically become worse if I eat gluten, eat high FODMAP foods, or my guts are too slow.

So at any rate, I'm no doctor, but this is what my doctor had me do and it worked very well for me and many others.  I'd say it's certainly worth looking into and discussing with your doctor.

I will add that many doctors aren't fluent in SIBO or even seem to have a clue as to what it is.. You can always direct your doctor to that website; Dr. Siebecker offers consultations and continuing medical education to bring physicians up to speed.  Otherwise, consulting an "integrative primary care MD" or a Naturopath might get you on track.  I will say that I prefer going to my M.D. for my own peace of mind.

Hopefully this is of some help to you!  Rosacea is no fun.

Best of luck!