Headaches after hennaing - and mix question

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Flieder
Headaches after hennaing - and mix question

Hi,

I get bad headaches after I leave henna/indigo/cassia mix in my hair for over 2 hours. At first I was leaving it on for 3-4 hours and I couldn't handle the headache so I shorten the time to two 1/ 2 hours. Looks like after 2 hours the headache is starting to creeping in. Why is that? Does that mean I have an allergy to one of the ingredients?

Also, I naturally have medium to dark brown hair and my hair color is getting darker and darker, almost black (I do once a year full head, every two months just the roots). I use one parts of henna and indigo and 2 part cassia. I like as light and softer color as possible. Should I change the mix? I use Mehandi products.

Jewel
Headaches after hennaing

Hi, 

I also get bad headaches - particularly during/after the indigo step of a 2-step. I researched the issue and found that there are several options for this problem:

1. you might be allergic :(

2. It might be caused by inhalation of the powder particles (the second time I tried the 2-step, even the henna step made me nauseated). I now wear a dust mask (Asian style ;) ) while mixing the powders with water.

3. It might be the weight of the mix + towel on your head for longer periods of time. I have switched from a towel to a light weight "twister-thingy" and make sure, I have some covered area to rest my head. Also, my hair is now shorter than the first time, so I'm hoping this will help a bit as I won't be putting the same amount of heavy mix on my hair.

I tried wearing the dust mask for the entire length (!) of the indigo step, regularly spraying it with a vanilla-scented leave-in conditioner, which I don't use anymore on my hair, but I like the fragrance. I think that all these interventions made a diference for me, and I hope you find these tips helpful.

I'll leave your other question to the admins - good luck :)

Flieder
Hi Jewel,

Hi Jewel,

Thanks for the response. I'll try a mask as you mentioned. I don't use towels, just a winter hat and since I'm doing the roots only, my head is not too heavy. But, the headache goes away couple of hours after i wash my hair, so its not too bad. However, its sometimes too much I consider not hennaing my hair anymore.

rchou
admin
Hello,

Hello,

Your headache may be caused by the weight of the product on your head, or due to a smell. Do you add any essential oils in your mix? Sometimes that scent can become overwhelming. Some also find that changing their acidic liquid can help.

Henna naturally deepens overtime, so it makes sense that your hair is getting darker. To keep it your desired shade, decrease the amount of indigo you use. What type of henna do you use? You may want to look into switching to a lower dye content henna, like the Jasmine/African.

I hope this helps!

Rebecca

Flieder
Hi Rebecca,

Hi Rebecca,

Sorry, I've been late to response. I have headache when I do only roots applications as well. So, its not heavy weight as full head application. I don't use any essential oils. I use one lemon juice mix with warm water to make my mixtures. I use Rajasthani Monsoon henna. One part of henna and one part of indigo and two parts cassia. I'm thinking to stop using henna as I'm concerned I'm hurting myself maybe in some way that I don't realize. 

m_moore
admin
The paste even on the roots

The paste even on the roots can be surprisingly heavy. It may not feel like it, but your neck isn't used to the extra weight. Laying down can help.  Mehandi's henna is lab tested to prove it's purity.  Allergies are rare but can be similar to hay fever, but not damaging to the body.

Flieder
If I don't use cassia and use

If I don't use cassia and use less indigo would that help?